Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Arthurian Challenge

I just found the perfect challenge for me that Becky is hosting and she even has a special blog set up already here. The aim is to read between 6 and 12 books based on or around the Arthurian myths, legends and characters. It runs between April 1st 2008 and March 31st 2009. I LOVE Arthurian tales of any kind and have read quite a lot of the various re-tellings so this is something I am really excited about. I have quite a few fiction and non-fiction books I hope to read for this and it is really hard to limit myself to only 12! On my LIbraryThing I even have tags for "Arthurian Fiction" and "Arthurian Mythology".

As I am signed up for a million already this year and it runs until next year, I can even put off a fair amount to be read when I complete my other challenges. You can't ask for more than that!

I was going to wait and see about my list, but I am so eager here it is already...

1. Le Morte D'Arthur - Sir Thomas Malory
2. The Once and Future King - TH White
3. Ladies of the Lake - John & Caitlin Matthews
4. Sir Gawain: Knight of the Goddess - John Matthews
5. The King Arthur Trilogy - Rosemary Sutcliff
6. Camelot's Shadow - Sarah Zettle
7. Camelot's Honour - Sarah Zettle
8. Camelot's Sword - Sarah Zettle
9. Camelot's Blood - Sarah Zettle
10. Isolde - Rosalind Miles
11. The Maiden of White Hands Rosalind Miles
12. The Lady of the Sea - Rosalind Miles

7 comments:

Nymeth said...

Okay this is simply too good for me to even try and resist. And a long deadline too!

I loved The Once and Future King. I hope you do too! The rest of your list sounds cool too. I will probably include some Rosalind Miles in mine, but the Guinevere series, which I've been meaning to read for ages.

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh those all sound like such good books!

Trish said...

Sounds like a fun challenge! I've always loved Arthurian legends.

Josette said...

I've seen Rosalind Miles' books on the shelves in Borders but didn't have enough money to buy them! Have fun with the challenge! You've certainly joined a lot! =D

Becky said...

I'm so happy you've joined. I look forward to reading your reviews.

Rhinoa said...

Nymeth - I hope you enjoy the Rosalind Miles books, I read them a few years ago and enjoyed them. I am relaly looking forward to the Isole series. My best friend is reading the first one at the moment and really enjoying it.

Ladytink - You should join in!

Trish - Me too, I am really looking forward to this one and I hope you sign up too.

Josette - I know this year is crazy challenge year. This one I am especially looking forward to. Maybe check your local library for the Rosalind Miles books and they should be able to order them in if they don't have them.

Becky - I was thinking of running a challenge like this but you beat me to it :p I can't wait to get started...

Robin said...

What an awesome list! This challenge sounds too good to pass up. I hope you enjoy reading the Rosemary Sutcliff books. I also loved The Once and Future King.