Tuesday, March 18, 2008


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 370
Number in Series : #1 Wildwood Dancing Series
Reason for Reading : Twisted Fairy Tales Challenge, I love what else I have read by Juliet Marillier and I was really excited to read this now it is finally out in paperback

The enchanting story of five young sisters (Tatiana, Jenica, Iulia, Paula and Stela) living in Transylvania. Jena tells the story of how after a game played as a child with drastic consequences, her and her sisters can access a portal into the wildwood in the Other Kingdom. The portal can only be opened by all five sisters (four before Stela was born who isnow five) using their hands to cast a shadow on a certain portion of the wall on the night of the Full Moon. Once on the other side they attend dances with the Queen and King of the Faeries. Jena always takes her best friend, frog Gogu who is more than a regular frog and can communicate mentally with her alone, on their adventures.

When their father becomes ill and has to leave to look for a cure, Tati and Jena are left in charge of the household finances and business. Their cousin Cezar has other ideas when he sudden/ly becomes head of his household. He is of the opinion that woman are second to men and stops Paula from continuing with her studies and takes responsibility away from Jena. His mission is to destroy the wildwood after his older brother Costi was drowned there as a child by the witch Draguta. To make matters even worse for the sisters, the Night People are visiting the faerie folk and one of them is bewitching Tati, changing her and causing her to fall ill.

A lovely tale, the first in a new trilogy (book two is out, Cybele's Secret but book three looks a way off yet) by this writer who says her books are "historical fantasy". I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Daughter of the Forest which is my favourite of her novels so far, but I definitely recomend it. My only issue with it was Jena's need to constantly control everything. She needed to let go a little and let her friends and family live their own lives. I really admired the way she tried to stand up to her cousin however which made up for her slight faults.

9 comments:

Chris said...

This sounds good! And I love that cover...it's awesome. Thanks for the new author...I'd never heard of her before. Onto the wishlist!

Nymeth said...

This sounds so good! I'm going to read Daughter of the Forest soon and I'm really looking forward to it. Once I'm done with that series I will try this one. And like Chris said, the cover is so pretty!

Ladytink_534 said...

What a beautiful cover! I've never heard of this series before.

Reader Rabbit said...

I adored this book,too. Although I must agree, I liked Daughter of the Forest better.

Melody said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this, Rhinoa. I've been waiting for this review as I have two of the books in my pile. And I definitely agree with you that Daughter of the Forest is a great read!

Rhinoa said...

Chris - I think you will definitely like her books a lot. I hope you give her a go soon. The cover is beautiful and I kept going back to it as the story progressed to look at the fine detail.

Nymeth - I am sure you will really enjoy this series as well as Sevenwaters.

Ladytink - I think you will love this author as well, get reading!

Reader Rabbit - I think Daughter of the Forest is one of my all time favourite books.

Melody - I hope you enjoy it as much as Daughter of the Forest.

Kailana said...

I read this book last year and I totally forgot to buy the second book! Gah! Now I want it. I will have to peek in at the bookstore tomorrow and see if they have a copy. If not, I have sort of been thinking a visit to amazon.ca was in order, but at the same time I hardly reading so it is not really necessary... decisions, decisions.

Framed said...

I've wanted to buy this book just because of that cover. It's absolutely beautiful. Now it's out in paperback and with your glowing review, I've really got to get it.

Clare said...

I don't think anything she writes will ever top Daughter of the Forest, I must read this soon its on my bookshelf and keeps looking at me!!