Saturday, March 29, 2008

Rating : 4.5/5
Genre : Family Film, Fantasy
Director : Mark Waters

When the Grace family move into their Aunt Lucinda's house things are not quite as they seem. Their parents have recently separated and their mother cannot afford to live in New York anymore and so they move into the family home while Aunt Lucinda spends the rest of her days mentally ill in the local sanitarium. One of the twins, Jared, finds a secret passage way to a secret room where he uncovers ancestor Arthur Spiderwicks field notes of the magical and fantastical beings people don't usually see.

His sister Mallory and twin brother Simon (the same actor Freddie Highmore plays both Simon and Jared which I didn't realise unti lthe credits!) are unbelieving at first until Simon is kidnapped by goblins. It turns out there is an evil ogre called Mulgarath who wants the field notes so that he can wipe out the rest of the fairy creatures and reign over the world including humans. It is up to the family to keep the book safe and help the other fairy creatures defeat Mulgarath.

What can I say, I loved this film! It reminded me of Labyrinth quite a lot which is always a good thing. The children where good in it and it was nice to see that the girl was given the offensive aspects of the battle with her fencing sword and skills. I really hope to read the books some day and will definitely be getting it when it is released on dvd. Highly enjoyable and fun for all ages.

4 comments:

Nymeth said...

The comparison with Labyrinth sold me...I have to watch this!

Debi said...

I read these to my son a few weeks back and we loved them...and believe me, he is not an easy sell! Then my husband took him to see the movie, which they both loved as well. I can't wait for the DVD.

Trish said...

This movie looked good (but a little scary!). I don't do well with scary--had to close my eyes a few times during Sweeny Todd last night! :)

I love Labyrinth! Ha!

Alice Teh said...

I saw the books lined up at Kinokuniya yesterday afternoon and was itching to do something i.e. buy. I did not succumb to temptation...