Friday, March 28, 2008


Rating : 4.5/5
Number of Pages : 192
Number in Series : #1 Legends of the Dark Crystal
Reason for Reading : Spring Reading Thing Challenge, Once Upon a Time II Challenge and I love the film and was interested in this manga

Gelflings Lahr and Neffi have lost everything and everyone they loved when their two villiages were raided by the Garthim working for the Skeksis. This is a prequel to the film The Dark Crystal and set before the crystal shard is out back into the main crystal. In this manga the Skeksis have only just found out that they are able to use the crystals power to drain gelfling essence giving them immortality.

Lahr is a shepherd and Neffi a weaver and together they realise they can turn their peaceful skills to more violent, defensive uses when pushed. Taking Lahr's dog Whouf, they set off to warn other gelfling villages of the new threat to their lives. They need to convince others of their kind to leave behind their passive musical ways and prepare for war.
It is beautifully drawn and I really enjoyed the story, I can't wait for the next installment in the series. As it is set before the film it doesn't take anything away from the classic, merely adds to the backstory. I would have liked to see how the Skeksis discovered they could harvest gelfling essence, was it an accident or a planned experiment as the two used to co-exist peacefully. There is a really good guest artwork and blurbs section at the back of the manga which will help introduce me to new authors and artists in the future. I can't wally say enough good things about this manga, definitely one for people who haven't tried this genre to give a go.

3 comments:

Nymeth said...

The art does look lovely. I like the fact that it adds to the world of the movie. I'm definitely going to look for this series.

Dark Orpheus said...

I loved the Dark Crystal movie. When Jim Henson passed away he left a void that can never be filled.

Going to look out for this title. Thanks for posting this.

Carl V. said...

I picked this up at the comic shop when it came out and it is on my to read pile. I hadn't really paid attention to the fact that it was a prequel and yet this makes me more interested in reading it. Dark Crystal is great and for some reason I don't own this. I need to pick myself up a copy. I saw that the 25th anniversary editions were on sale at Best Buy for $9.99 last week. I wonder if that sale is still good!