Wednesday, March 12, 2008


Rating : 4.0/5
Number of Pages : 218
Number in Series : #2 Lois Lowry's Worlds
Reason for Reading : Young Adult Challenge plus I really enjoyed The Giver and wanted to read more of Lowry's worlds

Once a year at The Gathering, The Singer sings a song that lasts the whole day to the people of Kira's villiage. It tells the story of their past, of the world being made, destroyed and remade. He holds a carved wooden staff, the feel of which reminds him where he is up to with his song, and he wears a beautifully woven robe. Kira lives in this primitive villiage with her mother where a persons age is measured by how many syllables their name consits of. Before she was born her father was killed by the beasts in the forest and Kira was born crippled. Her mother fought to keep her as tradition says she must be left in the field for the beasts to eat as she is unable to work and care for herself. She displays a rare talent for weaving which saves her more than once.

When her mother dies the other villagers want to remove her to the field now that she has no one to care for her. At her hearing one of the Guardians defends her as he knows of her gift. She is to live with them repairing the Singers robe and filling in a future into the plain portion between the shoulders. She meets Thomas who is the Carver remaking the staff and her friend tyke Matt and his dog Branch provide her with information and friendship throughout the tale. Things are not quite as the Guardians have told her and the other villagers as she starts to find out on her quest for something to make blue dye for the robe.

I really enjoyed this book a lot. Kira and Thomas were lovely characters you really came to see as friends. Matt and Branch were my favourites in the story however, his sense of fun and his quest for knowledge really caught my attention. It is linked to The Giver although it is a completely seperate tale and I strongly urge you to read it if you enjoyed The Giver. This looks at a different future without the technical aspects of The Giver, this looks at a much more primitive future without running water or proper buildings. Highly recommended.

6 comments:

Kim L said...

I am planning to read this one for one of my challenges... I read a big chunk of it one day while in Barnes & Noble, and haven't had the time to finish yet. Glad to hear you liked it!

Booklogged said...

I liked this one too. Just in case you didn't know, there's a one more companion book to The Giver and Gathering Blue. It's Messenger. It's a must read, since you liked the others.

Nymeth said...

This does sound good. I loved Number the Stars and I've been meaning to read more Lois Lowry. I'll look for The Giver and then for this.

Trish said...

Isn't there three that go together? I read The Giver in January and really enjoyed it, but I can't remember the third book's name. Glad you liked it! I agree with Nymeth that Number the Stars is also a great read.

Darla D said...

I loved The Giver and I have been meaning to read this one for ages. And also to reread the Anastasia Krupnik books, which I also loved. Thanks for the review!

Ladytink_534 said...

I've heard people rave about The Giver for years but I never actually got a chance to read it. I like the way this sounds though.