Sunday, March 09, 2008

Final Fantasy III - Game

I haven't been reading much over the last couple of days as I wanted to finally finish Final Fantasy III. It was the first Final Fantasy game to be released on the Nintendo DS and was originally releasesed on the NES. It was the first one to feature the wonderful Moogles as well as a job system which the others don't really use until the costume idea from FFX I think. Some of the job classes are shown below and what was fun was if you had a whole team of say warriors, each outfit would be slightly different for each character despite being essentially the same.

It also uses different enhanced graphics from the other FF games on the Gameboy Advance with 3D effects which made it look a lot better. Other than that it is pretty standard to all FF games. It is turn based combat with various weapons, armour and magic you can collect throughout the game. Cid as usual appears with an airship which you can upgrade throughout the game as well.

The story is the usual with FF games as well. One thousand years before the game, on a floating continent hovering high above the surface of an unnamed planet, a technologically advanced civilization sought to harness the power of the four elemental crystals of light. They did not realize that they could not control such fundamental forces of nature. This power of light would have consumed the world itself had the light crystals not had their natural counterparts: the four dark elemental crystals. Disturbed by the sudden interruption of the careful balance of the light and the dark, four warriors were granted the power of the dark crystals to recontain the power of the light crystals. These so-called Dark Warriors succeeded in their quest, and restored harmony to the world. But their victory came too late to save the doomed civilization. Their culture was reduced to ruin, though their floating continent remained. On that continent, the circle of Gulgans, a race of blind soothsayers and fortune-tellers, predicts that events will ultimately repeat. The power of darkness can be just as abused as the power of light; when it occurs, then the crystals of the light will need to call forth their own warriors to restore balance. Enter four orphans who go on a quest to restore the crystals and fight the powers of darkness.




5 comments:

Nymeth said...

The first one with Moogles, I did not know that!

Those action figures are just too cool. And the game sounds fun, like every other FF game. I really ought to play the ones I haven't yet. I miss video games.

Chris said...

I just got a DS for Christmas and I've yet to get any of the Final Fantasy titles for it...I just don't know where I want to start. Maybe I'll start with III!

Nicola said...

I, also, got a DS for Christmas and this was the first game I bought myself. I used to play the FF games on the original NES, back in the day.

Melody said...

I don't play any video games or online games, but I thought the graphic for Final Fantasy is fantastic!

Rhinoa said...

Nymeth - I want a moogle toy or a moogle hat with a red bobble on it!

Chris - The good thing about FF games is you can play any of them in any order (apart from some of the later ones like X-2 and some of the new ones out on the DS and Gameboy Advance which follow on from earlier games). I like VIII best on the PLaystation but VII seems to be the general favourite.

Nicola - I think I first got into them on the Playstation and then played the older ones when they were released for it as box sets. I tend to put them down and them forget where I am up to which means having to start again usually...

Melody - Yeah the graphics are lovely on this. I do like to play console games but just haven't had the time lately. I might start FFIV in a week or two.