Thursday, March 20, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


The End

You’ve just reached the end of a book . . . what do you do now? Savor and muse over the book? Dive right into the next one? Go take the dog for a walk, the kids to the park, before even thinking about the next book you’re going to read? What?
(Obviously, there can be more than one answer, here–a book with a cliff-hanger is going to engender different reactions than a serene, stand-alone, but you get the idea!)

Interesting question and the answer very much depends on the book. Lately I have been pretty much jumping into my next book on my list as I am in a bit of a reading groove. Sometimes though I do take some time off to think about the book, but that is more after a non-fiction book rather than something fictional. Especially after a scientific book where it can take a little to process some of the ideas explained in the book.

If it is a book in a series that I really loved, then screw my reading list I just have to pick up the next one and read it immediately. I had this with The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor where I read Seeing Redd straight afterwards. I also interupted my reading list when the new Patricia Briggs book Iron Kissed came out as I love her Mercy Thompson series.

There has been a couple of books that I have wanted to read again straight after finishing them. One was The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. I stopped myself by getting my husband to read it but was constantly asking which bit he was up to and wanting to steal it back off him so I could read it again. I got so lost in her dark world. The other time that happened was reading His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman. I have to confess to reading the series straight though and then reading it all the way through again straight away!

The photo this week is of my new uber chair that my mum bought me last weekend. It is perfect for reading in. The only problem is the cats keep stealing it if I get out even for a second (currently they are both sleeping in it while I type this) and when my husband gets in from a long day at work he tries to get to it before me too. It's my chair damn it and I am so in love with it right now. My husband ca;;s it the new cat nest and look, it has a cat paw print cushion, the two books I was reading at the time the photo was taken and Morgaine on my knee. Perfection.

12 comments:

Nymeth said...

That's a really good question. Today, for example, I don't feel like reading much because the book I finished yesterday (One for Sorrow) is still so present in my mind.

That's so cool that you read His Dark Materials twice in a row!

That chair does look very comfy. I know what you mean about the cats stealing it, though...my favourite reading spot is a chair by the window in my room, and whenever I turn my back one or more cats jump onto it and go to sleep. And if I put them elsewhere and sit there to read, they often jump onto my lap and try to go to sleep again on top of my book!

gautami tripathy said...

It all depends on my mood and the time. If I wish I dive right in or I might give myself a tiny break!

Booking upto ending

Jeane said...

Sounds like you need two of those chairs!

Table Talk said...

Definitely time for another visit to the chair shop.

Aria said...

I was the same way about The Black Jewels Trilogy. Every once in a while, when I can't find anything else reading for the moment, I will go and reread those. I need to go and get Tangled Webs.

Maree said...

I think my answer boiled dodwn to "it depends on the book".
I love that chair! I'd be losing it to the cats allthe time, too.

Teena said...

I'm a diver too! And if I'm reading a series, I'll do right into the next one too.

I played too :)

pussreboots said...

I can't read series books back to back. I need to give them space. Happy BTT.

jehara said...

those are great chairs!!

Mary said...

I want one of those chairs :>) I know what you mean. Depending on the book I like to sit with it for a few days before picking up something new. I usually read something totally different next and the two usually don't mesh together very well.

I have a suggestion for your next sitting in that wonderful chair. I just finished a great read by first-time author Paul Miller. It's called A Place To Belong. It reminds me of an American "Angela's Ashes". With the added element of faith as a factor in surviving an incredibly rough childhood. The book shows that there are really, really good people in this world, and the color of your skin has nothing to do with it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Note: When you pick up this book, make sure you pick up a box of tissues to go with.

Happy Reading,

Mary :>)

Margo. said...

I love your new chair Katie!

Melody said...

Love the new chair, Rhinoa! It's no wonder everyone is eyeing for it, hehe...