Thursday, March 06, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Hero

You should have seen this one coming … Who is your favorite Male lead character? And why?

My favourite hero or anti hero depending on your view point is Lestat from the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. He's sexy, seductive and has an interesting sense of fun always getting himself into different interesting situations like waking up the founder of the vampire race, swapping bodies with a mortal and visiting both heaven and hell. I like a male lead that isn't perfect and he certainly isn't that!

Another couple of favourites of mine are the three male leads in The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop. You have Saetan Daemon SaDiablo (Satan) who is the Lord of Hell and his two living sons Lucivar Yaslana (Lucifer) and Daemon Sadi (Deamon). All three have pretty dry humor and again cross the boarder between sexy and seductive. They can all stand up for themselves, but know how to treat a woman.

I love Merlin in most of the different versions of the Arthurian legends. Perhaps my favourite is the series by Mary Stewart (The Hollow Hills, The Crystal Cave and The Last Enchantment) which follow Merlin from a young boy coming into his manhood and discovering the truth of his own parenthood.

A new addition to my list of male leads I really like is Hatter Madigan from The Looking Glass Wars series by Frank Beddor. I just recieved a copy of the graphic novel about him which I am really looking forward to reading. He is bodyguard to Queen Alyss and his personality and inner struggles start to come to the front in Seeing Redd (book two in the series). I am looking forward to reading the third book when it finally comes out and am hoping for more from Hatter.

12 comments:

Val Gryphin said...

Muummmmmmm yes Lestat!

GeraniumCat said...

I loved Merlin in the Mary Stewart books - such a good series!

gautami tripathy said...

Yet to read any. GOD, I have not read too many books!

Here is my BTT post!

trish said...

Wow, I haven't read *any* of those! Nice list! :-)

Marg said...

Totally agree on the Black Jewels men!

pussreboots said...

The Mary Stewart books are on my TBR. Happy BTT.

Maree said...

I really only enjoyed the first three books of The Vampire Chronicles, but Lestat is certainly memorable. And I just finished book 1 of the Black Jewels series; and I agree about Saetan and Daemon. Haven't seen a lot of Lucivar yet, but I expect that will change.

Julia said...

Hmm, I haven't read any of those books! But great list!

Ladytink_534 said...

I discovered Anne Rice in high school and adored Lestat. Since it's been at least 5-6 years since I've read anything by her I keep wondering if I remember it being better than it was. I really should do a re-read since one of my online groups is reading it this month!

Hatter is one of my favorite characters from Looking Glass Wars too (I haven't read Seeing Red yet).

Nymeth said...

I knew you'd pick Lestat :P He'd be on my list too (along with Armand, who remains to this day one of my favourite characters ever).

I haven't read those Mary Stewart books, but they sound great!

Melody said...

I haven't read any of those, but I do have The Black Jewels trilogy in my pile. I hear that this trilogy is still the best trilogy amongst all Anne Bishop's books.

Automatic said...

Many thanks for your enthusiastic leap into the Pool of Tears assisting Princess Alyss and Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan with their harrowing adventures into pop culture.

We would like to share with you new revelations from Wonderland as they come into the Looking Glass Wars Library and Hatter M Institute. If you’re interested in receiving this confidential material, before it becomes public, please supply a secure email address.

The LGW Librarian
info@lookingglasswars.com