Saturday, March 08, 2008

Apocalyptica - Gig


One of the best gigs I have been to in a while. I first saw Apocalyptica at the Roskilde festival in Denmark in 2001 and then again at the Download festival in the UK in 2006. They are a band of four cellists from Finland who play a mixture of heavy metal covers and their own compositions. Yes you did read that right, cellos playing heavy metal.

They now also feature a drummer at live concerts and cover songs like Fade to Black, Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman by Metallica; Refuse/Resist by Sepultura; Heros by David Bowie; as well as songs they have done with HIM and The Rasmus. There session drummer is Dave Lombardo from Slayer too. I love cellos and hearing them always sends shivers down my spine. I will be getting all of their back catalogue to complete my collection! I took my husband along and he wasn't really up for it, but he loved it form the moment the lights came up. They had cello seats with skulls on them and headbang as they play. They walk around the stage with their cellos and really get into it. It's the most amazing thing to see.

If you haven't heard them, please do go and check them out at YouTube:
Fade To Black - a Metallica cover
Path - one of their own songs
If you watch the Fade to Black video it has some great photos from their live concerts which will really give you a feel for what they are all about.

3 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

Never heard of them until now. Wow they're certainly unique and really good!

Nymeth said...

I'm glad you had such a good time :) I have their album of Metallica covers somewhere, but I haven't listened to it in a long while.

gautami tripathy said...

They sound really good. I must check them out.