Sunday, February 03, 2008



Rating : 4.0/5
Genre : Fantasy, Horror
Director : Tim Burton

Benjamin Barker (Johnny Depp) arrives back in London after being wrongly accused of a crime and deported. He has changed his name to Sweeny Todd and has sworn revenge on the man responsible for his exile. Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman) caused it because he fell in love with Barkers wife. On arriving back in London with young sailor Anthony Hope (Jamie Capbell Bower) he hears his wife took poison after he was deported and she was raped by the judge who now has custody of his daughter Joanna (Jayne Wisener).

Someone who recognises him is pie seller Mrs Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) whose shop is below the flat Barker and his family used to rent. She has always had a sweet spot for Barker and agrees to rent him the apartment again on Fleet Street so he can open up a barber shop once again. He plans on reeling the judge into his shop and slitting this throat with his silver razors. Mrs Lovett is all for the plan and when things go a little astray and Barker/Todd starts killing tourists and people who won't be missed she uses their bodies to make the best meat pies in London and relaunch her shop.

A very gory film with lots of silly fake blood. The secondary tale with Anthony and Joanna gave it a more human twist with him falling in love with her and trying to rescue her from the judge. The acting was great as well as the singing, but I wasn't a massive fan of the music. It wasn't particularly catchy and the best song was near the beginning where Todd is singing to his razors and Mrs Lovett joins in saying she is his friend too. I felt sorry for Todd, but it quickly evaporated when he started killing so many people and making them into pies! The final straw came when him and Mrs Lovett turned on the one person who trusted them the most, a young boy they were giving work to, Toby (Ed Sanders). Fun but it isn't going to make my top 10 of all time.

7 comments:

Nicole B. said...

It might not have made your top ten but it made mine. ^^ I loved that movie! (On the other hand, I love anything with Johnny Depp in it...)

Melody said...

I want to watch this! I have heard mixed reviews about this though, guess I have to watch and judge it myself... ;)

Literary Feline said...

I really liked the movie, but I do agree with you about the music. None of the songs were very catchy--not enough to make me wish I owned the soundtrack.

Nymeth said...

I've been trying to go and see this one since the 25th, but something always gets in the way!

I had my doubts about it being a musical too, but most people say it works that way...hopefully I'll find out for myself soon.

Kim L said...

I like Johnny Depp, but the concept of the movie kinda weirded me out. Maybe I'll add it to netflix or something.

Margo. said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this too. :)

Susan said...

I enjoyed the movie, and thought the contrast with the singing - and the lyrics -were really spot on. I just didn't like all the gore - fake blood or not, I hate slashing scenes, so I had to look away. the ending was a shocker, so much so that I keep picturing it. About a 7/10 on my scale (I haven't done a review on my blog yet, not sure yet if I will). I enjoyed your review of it!