Sunday, February 17, 2008

Juno - Film


Rating : 5.0/5
Genre : Dark Comedy
Director : Jason Reitman

From the director of Thank You For Smoking comes this dark comedy about Juno (Ellen Page), a sixteen year old girl who accidentally gets pregnant by her best friend Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera from Superbad). She goes to have an abortion after telling her friend, but finds she is unable to go through with it. Instead she decides upon giving her baby up for adoption and searches in the local paper for the perfect couple to bring up her child. She finds Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) and Mark (Jason Bateman) Loring who have been trying for a baby for 5 years but are unable to conceive.

She tells Bleeker, but doesn't really give him a chance to get involved and he is unsure how to act anyway. Bleeker has been in love with Juno for a long time, but she just sees him as a friend. She finds something attractive in the adoptive father and starts spending time with him against her parents wishes who know her well. Things start to fall apart as Juno reachers her 8th month of pregnancy both for Juno and the Loring's leaving Juno confused and unsure what to do.

The best thing about this movie is the humor. It's extremely funny and witty and not in a romantic comedy way. There is a great fight between Jino's step mother and the ultra sound technician and many fantastic one liners and short speeches. Page is brilliant as Juno, she deals with the hand life deals her very well. The supporting cast are fantastic as well from Juno's father, step mother and best friend to the jock at school. I knew from the opening credits that I would love this movie much like Eagle Versus Chark last year and I am pretty sure this will be my film of the year. I am likely to see it in the cinema again and eagerly await the dvd. See this movie!

7 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I enjoyed this movie too. Ellen Page did such a good job. I especially liked the soundtrack. I keep meaning to pick up a copy of it, but I always seem to forget.

Melody said...

I've to convince the hubs to accompany me to watch this movie one day because I hear nothing but raves on this movie. :)

Chris said...

I loved it too Rhinoa and it will definitely be one of my favorites of the year. The Oscars are a week from today and I'm rooting for this one to win everything it's nominated for! It definitely deserves it!

Kim L said...

I really really want to see this one. It sounds great. Thanks for the review!

Nymeth said...

I loved that scene when she was having the ultra sound too. This is definitely a movie I'll be seeing again.

Dark Orpheus said...

I finally watched "Juno" and I am officially in love with Ellen Page!

Trish said...

AHHHH. I want to see this one so bad! I didn't realize its the same people who did Thank You for Smoking--loved that movie.