Thursday, February 28, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Heroine

Who is your favorite female lead character? And why? (And yes, of course, you can name more than one . . . I always have trouble narrowing down these things to one name, why should I force you to?)

This is a difficult one. I think my favourite heroine at the moment is Mercedes Thompson from the Patricia Briggs books (Moon Called, Blood Bound and Iron Kissed). She is a Walker which means she can shapeshift into a coyote independent from the cycle of the moon, but it is her humanity that speaks to me the most. There are three books out in the series so far and she always kicks ass but has human flaws and failings which make her real rather than a superhero who always saves the day. She also has human desires and pains and it was in the third book (Iron Kissed) that I really felt a closeness with her. She is a bit of a tom boy who is good with her hands and is a mechanic. She is someone I could definitely be friends with as well as knowing I could call her if I was in a tight spot.

Depending on the tale Morgaine or Morgan le Fey is another heroine of mine, particularly in the Mists of Avalon version. She struggles through despite being tricked into sleeping with her brother and bearing his child to try to restore the worship of the Old Ways. She shows great strength of character and she is one of my favourite literary characters even when she is shown as the bad guy (who can't resist a good villian?!).

Lyra Belacqua from His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman is another heroine I have a soft spot for. She is in the series right from the start and has to do so many brave things I don't even know where to start. The bravest for me is when she has to choose between going into the Land of the Dead and severing herself from Pan forever. I was ona train reading that passage and I am not ashamed to say it made me cry. I was a little disappointed when Will was introduced in The Subtle Knife as he took over a little and Lyra wasn't able to make as many of her own decisions and play as large a role, but it worked out ok in the end.

The photo this week is a little random. Someone said they were thinking of getting a cat paw tattoo so I though I would put up a picture of the tattoos I have on my right wrist. I have quite a few tattoos (mostly quite small like the ones above) and those are: a triple moon (the one that looks like a sweetie!) showing the moon waxing full and waning, cat paw prints going in a circle around my wrist (they go all the way around) and the symbol is the Vesica Pisces which is used to decorate the well cover at Chalice Well where me and my husband had our Handfasting (pagan wedding) the week before our legal one. All three are special designs to me for different reasons.

15 comments:

Melody said...

I've read Moon Called and I think it's a beginning of a great series.

I noticed Lyra Belacqua is a popular pick, although I haven't read anything by Phillip Pullman.

Very cool tattoos! I love the paw prints...so cute. :)

Maree said...

I forgot about Morgan le Fay. I loved her in The Mists of Avalon.

gautami tripathy said...

I am yet to read any. I like your tattoos!

Here is my BTT post

Mo said...

My mom has been raving about the Briggs books too (she & I share a luv of all-things-paranormal!)- maybe I'll seriously have to look for those...

She Became a Butterfly said...

i just joined the tbr challenge, and i thought i'd check out your blog.

my friend and i just started a book lovers message board, so i thought i'd invite you!!

eden
www.re-told.net

heather (errantdreams) said...

I honestly can't think of a favorite to write about right now. Maybe one will come to me as I read others' ramblings.

Love the cat paw prints!

Val Gryphin said...

Lyra and Morgan le Fey are great choices. I'm really curious now about Mercedes now as well, that sounds like a good series.

Love the tats!

Find me here

GeraniumCat said...

Lyra is a wonderful choice, she's so strong.

Nyssaneala said...

I also named Morgaine from Mists of Avalon. It's nice to see her portrayed as something other than evil. Plus, I can't stand Guinevere.

Nymeth said...

Lyra and Morgaine are excellent choices! In fact, Lyra is probably my all-time favourite heroine.

I also love Maharet from the Vampire Chronicles and Death from the Sandman series. And Tiffany Aching from Discworld.

Your tattoos are great :) I especially like the cat paw prints, so cute.

pussreboots said...

I haven't read the books you've mentioned. Happy BTT.

Chris said...

Definitely Morgaine!

Kim L said...

Very nice tattoos. Which one is your favorite?

I like Morgan Le Fay, one of my favorite takes on her was "I Am Morgan Le Fay" by Nancy McKenzie. It is a YA read, but she makes Morgan so fascinating.

Happy BTT.

Literary Feline said...

Marion Zimmer Bradley's Morgaine is one of my favorites as well. It is such a great book.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I also noticed a lot of people are picking Lyra. Interesting; when I read the books years ago, I didn't take to her.