Thursday, February 14, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

After the Honeymoon

I had a post ready for today, but I liked this suggestion from Chris even better, so … thanks, Chris!
Here’s something for Valentine’s Day.
Have you ever fallen out of love with a favorite author? Was the last book you read by the author so bad, you broke up with them and haven’t read their work since? Could they ever lure you back?

You know I can't think of anyone. I know a lot of people went off Anne Rice later in the vampire series and especially with her book Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, but continue to love her writing. Oh the exception is Mark Haddon I think. He wrote A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time which I absolutely loved. I was really looking forward to reading something else by him and I was really excited when A Spot of Bother came out. When I got around to reading it, I was sadly disappointed and it has put me off reading more by him in the future. Perhaps it was my really high expectations after reading his first novel, it was such a hard act to follow, but either way I would think twice about buying another novel by him. Depending on what the reviews are of his next book will determine whether I take him back or not. I also have a horrible feeling that JK Rowling will be the same. After the success of Harry Potter, how on earth do you top it and write something that will catch the attention of readers so much.

The photo above is of Morgaine's paws. I thought it was really cute the way she was sleeping, it looks like someone took a white paint brush and ran it across her toes! She kept me awake most of last night and I got my husband to pshut her out the bedroom when he went to work. She just sat outside the door meowing and scratching at it until I eventually got up to see what she wanted. Now she won't leave me alone and is following me about checking she isn't getting separeted again silly beastie.

11 comments:

cj said...

It's a great picture!

And Anne Rice is one of those authors I really wanted to like. I tried and tried to read Interview but couldn't.

cjh

Chris said...

I'm one of the people who went off Anne Rice a few books back.

Melody said...

Hmm...I have never read Anne Rice before, the same goes to Mark Haddon. But I have to agree with you about your thoughts on JK Rowling's future books because the pressure is just too great after the success of the HP series!

Oh, I love that pic! So cute, and taken from a special angle. :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

gautami tripathy said...

I hated the HP 7! In a way, after 3 and 4 , all the HPs are plodding kind.

My BTT post!

heather (errantdreams) said...

Awwwww! Kitty paws!

I sometimes have to get my husband to shut the cats out of the room in the morning when he leaves for work too. Mostly because of Cahlash, though, not Selene; when he gets hungry and cranky he'll jump on me as hard as he can in the effort to make me get up!

teabird said...

My answer was... Anne Rice!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Melody said...

Hey Rhinoa! You're tagged. ;)

Stephanie said...

I love Anne Rice. Of course, I didn't read the last book. But I loved all the rest of her books.

Happy Thursday!!

Literary Feline said...

I have enjoyed the books by Anne Rice I've read. I have several of her other books here to read, but other books have taken precedence.

Patricia Cornwell is one author that left me heartbroken. I really enjoyed her earlier books, but had to give her up a few years ago. I have no regrets.

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh that's right. I forgot about her. I used to gobble up every book Anne Rice put out but then the vampire queen decided to stop writing what she was most famous for.

I think I agree with the JK Rowling statement too. She might succeed in writing something good again but it will probably be a big disappointment to her Potter fans at least-which is roughly almost every person on the planet.

Kitty feet! I love my kitty's delicate little paws at least when she has her claws sheethed lol! Which is what woke me up this morning. She was sleeping on my stomach and I rolled over. She didn't like the wake up call and let me know. When I do get around to getting a real tattoo to cover the one I did myself when I was a teenager I'm thinking of getting a pawprint.

Rhinoa said...

CJ - Thanks. Anne Rice seems to be a little like marmite, you either love her books or just can't get into her!

Chris - I forgive you ;)

Melody - I think you would like Curious Incident by Mark Haddon. Try watching Interview with the Vampire and if you like that read Anne Rice (she wrote the screenplay for the film too).

Gautami - I liked HP7 but wasn't a fan at all of Order of the Phoenix. My favourites were Azkaban and Half Blood Prince, I like her darker stuff.

Heather - Every morning around 7:30/8am I get woken up by one or both cats demanding food. It's annoying as it's usually earlier than I get up.

Teabird - I figured some people would put her.

Stephenie - I am interested to see what you think of Christ the Lord (the second book is out in hardback very soon) if you get around to it, especially as you love her other books.

Wendy - I still haven't read any Patricia Cornwell. I think someone gave me one oof her books once but I never got around to it. It is so sad when an author you love lets you down like that.

Ladytink - She had her reasons for stopping though as Lestat was based on her husband Stan who died. I acutlaly have a tattoo of kitty paws walking around my right wrist. I will try and find a photo for next weeks question.