Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Thud! - Terry Pratchett

Rating : 3.0/5
Number in Series : #30 in the Discworld series
Number of Pages : 439
Reason for Reading : Series Challenge, 101 Things to do Challenge

It is coming up the the anniversary of Koom Valley, the famous fight between the dwarves and the trolls. It has always been contested who started it and who ended up winning. Things are uneasy in Ankh-Morpork and Vimes is trying to stop a full scale re-enactment of the battle in the city as well as investigate the murder of one of the deep down dwarves. He also has to deal with the new recruit (a vampire named Sally) and be home by 6pm every night to read "Where's my cow?" to young Sam.

For me the plot wasn't too great, it was the relationships between the characters that made it interesting as well as some great throw-away lines. For example when Vimes tried to make up his own version of "Where's my Cow?" which becomes "Where's my Daddy?". The original goes:

"Where's my cow?
Is that my cow?
It goes, "Baa!"
It is a sheep!
That's not my cow!"

Which gets replaced with:

"Where's my daddy?
Is that my daddy?
He goes, "Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp!
He is Foul Old Ron!
That's not my daddy!"

As always there are also the relationships between Vimes and Vetinari and Vimes and Sybil which are as funny as ever along with Nobby Nobbs getting a new girlfriend (an amazingly attractive pole dancer) and the tension between Sally and Angua due to old rivalries between vampires and werewolves. Recommended to existing fans of the Discworld series as they will get the in-jokes others new to the series would miss.

5 comments:

Nymeth said...

After reading this one I spent about a month randomly reciting "Where is my Cow" to my boyfriend. True story :P

I know I am more or less alone when it comes to this one, but it's one of my top 3 Discworlds. I love how the story gets so dark, especially towards the end, and I love how it deals with so many things at the same time.

The Vimes\Vetinari bits were, as always, fascinating.

pussreboots said...

My husband loves Thud. I think it's one of his favorite in the series. We ended up buying a copy of Where is My Cow. It's a cute story too.

Thud is still TBR for me. Happy reading.

Melody said...

I have never read Terry Pratchett's books before, and I have heard a lot of good reviews about them. Which book will you recommend me to start with? ;)

Rhinoa said...

Nymeth - I think Alex has a copy of Where's my Cow? somewhere, will have to dig it out and give it a go. Everyone I speak to has different favourites in this series which is what makes it so interesting.

Pussreboots - Will be interesting to see if you agree with your husband when you get around to reading it.

Melody - I read them in published order so as not to miss any of the previous references which worked quite well. It mixes up the characters and the storylines, but doesn't really get going until about the fourth book in the series. The other option is to read the different mini series (Death, the Witches, Rincewind and the Watch). For the published order see here

Melody said...

Thanks, Rhinoa! :)