Saturday, January 05, 2008


This looks like a wonderful challenge hosted here. The aim is to read at least 7 books in 2008 that have either won the Mythopoeic Award or been shortlisted for it (and you can overlap with other challenges yay!). The Mythopoeic Society is dedicated to the study and enjoyment of fantasy and mythic literature, especially the works of the Inklings, an informal literary circle at Oxford that included the likes of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and others. Each year the Society awards the best scholarly and literary achievements exemplifying “the spirit of the Inklings” with the Mythopoeic Award. There are some great books on the list and I was happy to see I have read quite a few of them. My choices for this challenge are:

1. Briar Rose - Jane Yolen
2. Anasi Boys - Neil Gaiman
3. A Hat Full of Sky - Terry Pratchett
4. Roverandom - JRR Tolkien
5. The Bartimaeus Trilogy (Amulet of Samakand, The Golem's Eye, Ptolem's Gate) - Jonathan Stroud
6. Fire and Hemlock - Diana Wynn Jones
7. Tam Lin - Pamela Dean

6 comments:

Nymeth said...

Couldn't resist for long, could you? :P That's a great list of books. I read both Tam Lin and Briar Rose last year and I loved them both. And that Jonathan Stroud series has been on my list for ages.

Stephanie said...

I need to join another challenge like I need a hole in my head! But this one looks SO good!!

Loved Anansi Boys!! And have Amulet of Samakand on my list to read this year!!

Good luck!

Chris said...

I want to join this challenge so bad!!! But I would have to buy books...so I'm not going to join :/ Can't wait to follow your reading though!

Rhinoa said...

Nymeth - I know, the list just looked so good! I would like to read all of the winners at some point, maybe in a couple of years I will go through it properly.

Stephanie - One more won't kill you I am sure... ;)

Chris - I only needed to buy one book and it was one I wanted anyway (Briar Rose) so it wasn't so bad.

Dewey said...

That does look like a great challenge, but alas, I may have to trade my soul to the devil just to get the time I'll need to read the books I've already committed to for other challenges! Your list looks especially enticing, though!

nessie said...

Anansi Boys is awesome. Read it in one sit.Gaimen is fast becoming a favorite. His writing is above average but it is his wit that makes him unique and deserving