Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rating : 5.0/5
Number of Pages : 287
Number in Series : #3 Mercedes Thompson Series
Reason for Reading : To see what happens next to Mercy

Mercy is a walker which means she can transform into a coyote. She has helped the vampires kill a demon riding a vampire, her housemate is werewolf Samuel and her trailer backs onto the house of alpha werewolf Adam. She is torn between the two werewolves and things are getting very strained, and she also has feelings for Stephan the vampire...

This novel focuses on the Fae. Zee (Mercy's friend and mentor) and Uncle Mike enlist Mercy's help to sniff out the murderer in a string of deaths in the fairyland reservation. She notices the same human scent in all the murder scenes and when Uncle Mike and Zee go to talk to him, they find him already brutally murdered in a way that seems only a Fae could accomplish. The police have already been called and Zee is arrested despite being innocent. The Gray Lords (the Fae council) are happy to let him take the fall as it cleans things up quickly leaving them time to look for the true killer. However, Mercy is not going to let this happen, despite how many people tell her to let things alone.

Alongside the main plot, Mercy also has to choose between the two werewolves as tensions are rapidly rising. Her final choice makes sense and felt like the right thing to do, I hope it works out for her in future books. She has the Fae after her, the Gray Lords, Zee wants nothing more to do with her and a magical walking stick keeps following her around. The greatest danger is from an unseen corner and has very tragic consequences for Mercy.

I enjoyed this book the most so far. I liked the Fae lore and the confusion Mercy feels deciding between Samuel and Adam. I also found this the saddest of the series so far and really felt for Mercy having been through something similar in my past. I highly recommend this series and I can;t wait to see what will happen next.

9 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I have the first book in this series and hope to read it one day. It sounds like a fun series. I am glad to see that you are still enjoying it quite a bit. Always promising!

Rhinoa said...

I hope you like Moon Called. I think this is my favourite Urban Fantasy series out there at the moment. I can't wait for the fourth book to come out next January and she has a new series out around August this year, the first book being called Cry Wolf.

Nymeth said...

I really need to try this series...it sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

Melody said...

I have not read the second book yet, although I have it in my TBR pile. And recently I have ordered the third book and waiting for it to arrive. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this series, Rhinoa!

Darla D said...

I haven't read this one yet, but I'm really looking forward to it! I think this is my favorite new series (discovered in 2007) from last year. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Rhinoa said...

Nymeth - I think you will enjoy it when you have the time. I hope you give it a try.

Melody - Some reviews haven't been great for Blood Bound, but I really liked it.

Darla D - I discovered this series last year as well, I can't remember who recommended it to me though. I hope you enjoy book 3 as much as I did. Book 4 is out January 2009 which seems forever away.

Darla D said...

Oh, that IS a long time to have to wait. :-( At least I still have this one to look forward to!

Rhinoa said...

I know Darla... There is another one in a different series in the meantime this August which will hopefully be good. I am thinking about trying to get some of her older books and see if I like them too. I don;t know anyone who has read outside of the Mercy books though.

Darla D said...

Rhinoa - I picked up one of her earlier books at the library, but I haven't read it yet (my copy of Iron Kissed finally came in, so that's next on my list!). I'll let you know when I've read the other one. I'm prepared for it to be not as polished, since it's an earlier one. I'm looking forward to reading it!