Saturday, January 26, 2008

Eva's Book Meme

I was tagged by Gautami Tripathy and Annie the Superfast Reader for this. They were tagged by tagged by Eva from A Striped Armchair.

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
Everyone I know loves The Earth's Children Series (The Clan of the Cave Bear etc) by Jean M Auel. It seems like something I would love, but I just can't seem to bring myself to read them. I am not sure what it is about them, but I just can'e see the appeal.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?
For a night of clubbing definitely Lestat from the Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice. He is pretty sexy and has had such an interesting long life I am sure we would have a lot to talk about inbetween dancing. I would also like to go dancing with Mercy Thompson from Patricia Brigg's books. She is a tom boy like me so I wouldn't be the only one in baggy jeans and trainers. I bet she knows how to let loose on the dance floor and it would be interesting to chat to her more. My final choice would be anyone from Newford in the Charles de Lint stories. The characters are mostly about my age group and quite punky which would be a fun night out.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?
That's a difficult question as I assume the most boring book is one I haven't read yet. I would probably pick a book on sport or a biography of someone from a sport like cricket or rugby that I really have no interest in at all.

Come on, we've all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you've read, when in fact you've been nowhere near it?
You know what, I don't think there is a book I have pretended to read. I was always ashamed I hadn't read Dracula by Bram Stoker (I finally got around to it last year), but I never pretended I had so I guess I pass on this question.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to 'reread' it that you haven't? Which book?
I can't think of one for this question either. I keep a journal of what I read which helps me remember what I have and haven't read. I am pretty anal about my book reading habbits!

You've been appointed Book Advisor to a VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why? (if you feel like you'd have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP)
It depends on what their job was. If they were in politics I would recommend 1984 by George Orwell or Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury to give them an idea into what things can be like with over control.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?
It would be very cool to be able to read Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics. To be able to walk around all the ancient sites and tombs knowing what all the inscriptions say would be fascinating. I bet a lot of it is boring though!

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?
I would pick something short and inspiring like Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. I think it would give you a different insight from each re-read and wouldm't become too dull over time like a novel might.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What's one bookish thing you 'discovered' from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?
Goodness, there have been so many authors I would never have discovered without the blogging community. It was someone online who recommended both Charles de Lint and Anne Bishop to me who are now two of my favourite authors. I have also found lots more great recommendations of fairy tale and mythology re-tellings from online blogs as well as some great urban fantasy authors like Patricia Briggs I hadn't heard of before. The main thing is the blogging world has helped me to open up my reading boundaries, try some more classic work and just make more time for reading.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.
My dream library is pretty traditional. It has lots of panels of books with a ladder on wheels that I can push around the shelves. There would be a mixture of leather bound volumes of classics as well as paperbacks in new condition and everything would be organised alphabetically within their genre. There would be a ghost called Jeeves living there who sometimes moves things around, like I might find a classic novel in the urban fantasy section, but other times he might help when I stand in the middle trying to find a particular book by flying it gently towards me. For ancient books they would be under special cabinets with apparatus for turning pages so they do not become damaged. A nice oak reading desk and lamp would be ner the middle and a large globe that you can spin too.

And the final portion of this assignment is to tag four others:
Kailana at The Written Word
Margo
Marg and Reading Adventures
Booklogged

*And, for extra credit, if you leave a comment letting Eva know you've done the meme with a link to the post, she will give you some link love via a big list of who's participated. Additionally, if you link back to her original post, she will enter you in a drawing to win The House at Riverton. If you're an American, this is especially exciting since it isn't going to published until April. ;) To be in the drawing, you must have posted the meme (and commented) by February 5th, which is when she is holding the drawing.

8 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Sounds like you have a fun night out planned with your character choices. :-)

Keeping a journal really does come in handy when trying to avoid reading the same books over and over again, doesn't it? Or even just adding them to your TBR collection, in my case.

Joy said...

Welcome to the A ~ Z Reading Challenge, Rhinoa! We are glad to have you join us. :)

I see that you have posted many links on the A ~ Z Challenge Blog. Unfortunately, we are only posting one link per book, either as an author or as the title. Instead of you telling me which links to delete, I deleted them all. Please come back and relink them as your choice of either an author or title. I apologize for the inconvenience to you, but I thought it would be easier to start fresh. :)

Eva said...

I hated Clan of the Cave Bear!! Granted, I read it when I was maybe fourteen or fifteen. But my mom had loved it, and recommended it to me...I remember it being very bleak.

You have a good clubbing group there. :) Ancient Egyptian is such a neat language choice! I loved my trip to Egypt, and I would've enjoyed it much more if I could read the tombs.

Stephanie said...

This is such a fun meme!! I love reading everyone's answers!!

Nymeth said...

Lestat is a great choice and so are Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics!

Kim L said...

Wow your library sounds awesome. I would totally picture something like that for my dream library.

Egyptian hieroglyphics would be supercool to know!

Marg said...

I've done mine now! You can read it here

ebony said...

I'm changing my answer from Latin to heirglyphics!