Thursday, January 31, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Quirky

This week’s question is suggested by (blogless) JMutford:
Sometimes I find eccentric characters quirky and fun, other times I find them too unbelievable and annoying. What are some of the more outrageous characters you’ve read, and how do you feel about them?

One of my favourite eccentric and quirky characters was Wemmick in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. He works as a clerk for the lawyer Jaggers helping out Pip and the two become close friends. Wemmick lives in a castle surrounded by a mini moat in the centre of London as well as having a canon and a draw bridge. He also lives with his father, the Aged One, who is mostly deaf so everything has to be shouted and a lot of nodding and smiling goes on. He also has a very interesting relationship with his fiance Miss Skiffins. I think he was my favourite character in the book.

Trelawney from the Harry Potter books is another great quirky character. She is the schools teacher and Professor of Divination. Her predictions are usually violent and she loves to tell people they are going to die. Harry and Ron take great delight in making up false prefictions in class to amuse her with unusual and grisly ways they meet their maker. At least one of her predictions has come true however involving Harry and this is why Dumbledore keeps her on staff. I like that she is so chaotic, vague and all over the place.

I am sure that there are some quirky characters that grate on my nerves, but I can't seem to think of any right now. Mostly they are the ones that stand out and make a book special to me. I like to think I am a bit quirky and eccentric so maybe that's why!

The above is a statue in the British Museum. It's an African man balancing on a crocodile which I thought was pretty cool.

14 comments:

OneLuvGurl said...

I think all of the Harry Potter characters are quirky! :)

Melody said...

Oh yes, I definitely agree about Trelawney being quirky! And I haven't even read Great Expectations, yet!

That's an interesting pic you have there. I love visiting museums! ;)

Julia said...

I agree with Onluvgurl - that all of the Harry Potter characters are quirky....great list of quirky characters!

I love the Great Expectations by the way :)

gautami tripathy said...

Trelawney is quirky, so is Dumbledore. I too found Uriah Heep of David Copperfield as weird.

Charles Dickens created too many quirky characters. Miss Havisham too a classic case!

Come, read my response!

Chris said...

Dickens was great at creating quirky characters.

Table Talk said...

I've been writing about Dickens as well. He has to be the past master of fictional eccentrics.

Nymeth said...

Trelawney is great. I tend to like quirky characters too.

Great picture!

Alix said...

Trelawny is great as are Luna and Dumbledore. I think Emma Thompson does a fabulous job of portraying her in the films.

pussreboots said...

Love your choice of photo. I've listed my four favorite quirky characters on my blog.

Lesley said...

The entire cast of Harry Potter is weird and wacky, don't you think? That's when it works well.

Nithin said...

Trelawny is perhaps one of the quirkiest characters in the Harry Potter series, but I missed her from my list. I really had a lot of trouble remembering the quirkiest characters I've read and I'm sure I've missed many characters when I made my list.

GeraniumCat said...

I decided there were too many quirky Dickens characters to decide on a favourite!

Literary Feline said...

How could I have forgotten all the eccentric characters in Harry Potter? Trelawney is one of the most eccentric in the series. I didn't especially like her when I first met her, but she grew on me.

Rhinoa said...

Thanks everyone for the comments. I can't believe I forgot about Luna Lovegod from Harry Potter, although I do agree they are all a little quirky in their own way. I clearly need to read more Dickens, I really enjoyed the little I have read so far.