Friday, January 25, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Huh?

What’s your favorite book that nobody else has heard of? You know, not Little Women or Huckleberry Finn, not the latest best-seller . . . whether they’ve read them or not, everybody “knows” those books. I’m talking about the best book that, when you tell people that you love it, they go, “Huh? Never heard of it?”

Firstly sorry this is a day late, I have been away for a few days and couldn't get online. One book I read in 2007 was The Five of Cups by Wendy Mewes. She is a wonderful author who combines romance, fantasy and magic in a way that will appeal to many. She is fairly unknown which is such a shame as her first fictional novel Moon Garden was wonderful as well. Go check her out!

Another book I really love is The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A lot of people have heard of her Avalon or Darkover series, but her book retelling the siege of Troy through the eyes of Kassandra (the oracle doomed to always tell the truth and never be believed) is less well known sadly. It combines fantasy and mythology twisting a very well known tale from the eyes of the women in the story who are usually overlooked.

Theresa Tomlinson is another author I love who writes YA fantasy fiction. She wrote The Moon Riders and Voyage of the Snake Lady about the Amazons and their involvement in the siege of Troy as well as The Forestwife Trilogy which is her take on Robin Hood. All three books again focus on the women in the tales and tell the story from a different perspective giving them new life and a fresh outlook.

The Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates is a wonderful book as well that I highly recommend. It tells the tale of a christian monk who forms a strange bond with an anglo saxon shamen/sourceror. The two go on a spiritual journey and learn of each others faiths having their eyes open to other possibilities outside of their usual beliefs. The ending was very well done and I like that neither gives up their own beliefs, but somehow assimilates it all together.

The Promethea graphic novel series (five in total) by Alan Moore are amazing. The artwork is stunning and it is a journey through magic and mythology that is a primer for esoteric subjects like tarot, astrology and the qabalah. Most people have heard of The Watchmen, V for Vendetta or League of Extrodinary Gentlemen but not this series. Highly recommended.

The picture above was taken yesterday in Luxemboug after a long meeting when I stole someones hat. I sadly had to give it back, but I am seriously in need to a days hat shopping as I think it looks awesome!

3 comments:

Annie the Superfast Reader said...

hey there--
i tagged you to complete Eva's meme--
http://superfastreader.com

Melody said...

I don't think I have heard any of those authors, except Marion Zimmer Bradley for her Avalon series. I will have to check out the other authors mentioned, since some of them sounds interesting to me. BTW, you looked great in that pic. And I love that hat too!! ;)

Nymeth said...

I've been meaning to read The Firebrand for years. It sounds so good!

My answer to this would be The Watermelon King by Daniel Wallace. Most people just know his Big Fish, and even then, mostly the movie.

I love that picture of you! You do need a hat like that, it looks great.