Thursday, January 17, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Let’s Review…

This week’s question is suggested by Puss Reboots:
How much do reviews (good and bad) affect your choice of reading? If you see a bad review of a book you wanted to read, do you still read it? If you see a good review of a book you’re sure you won’t like, do you change your mind and give the book a try?

I don't let bad reviews out me off a book I am really interested in reading. If it's one I am not so sure about I might look for other reviews and see if they are all bad, but ultimately I will make up my own mind. Sometimes a good review of something outside my usual reading sphere will make me change my mind, but I suppose it isn't too often as there is usually a reason I wouldn't like it in the first place. I am trying to read more outside my boarders though where possible so anything could happen!

The reviews in the blogging community are really helpful for finding new suggestions. There are some bloggers in particular who share similar reading tastes to me and I know if they recommend a book I don't know there is a good chance I will like it too.

The photo above is of Merlin. I walked into the bathroom and there he was, sat in the sink...!

6 comments:

Jeane said...

I agree with you. Blogger reviews don't sway me too much, but they bring to my attention many books & authors I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Melody said...

I think most of us share the same replies. The final decision still lies on us.

I love that pic! Merlin seemed to be making himself comfy sittng there... ;)

gautami tripathy said...

Most of us book lovers are the same! We go about a book in our own ways. Not much influenced by reviews..

Stephanie said...

I'm with you. If I want to read a book, I'm going to read it regardless of a review. That being said, a positive review might actually make me add it to my list. I have added so many books to my tbr from all the great blogger reviews! It's scary!

pussreboots said...

I love the Merlin picture. I am relying more and more on the reviews of bloggers I frequent. Happy BTT.

Literary Feline said...

I have yet to find my cat in the sink, but I keep hoping. ;-)

I tend to rely on reviews to help me when I'm on the fence about a particular book. And in increasing my wish list and TBR collection . . .