Thursday, January 10, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

May I Introduce….

How did you come across your favorite author(s)? Recommended by a friend? Stumbled across at a bookstore? A book given to you as a gift?
Was it love at first sight? Or did the love affair evolve over a long acquaintance?

Lets see, my favourite 5 authors are Anne Rice, Anne Bishop, Nick Hornby, JRR Tolkien and Charles de Lint at the moment. Anne Rice I discovered by myself I think after watching Interview with the Vampire when it came out at the cinema. Anne Bishop and Charles de Lint were recommended to me by the same person who I know online (she definitely recommended Anne Bishops Black Jewels Trilogy) and I thank her lots for it! Nick Hornby I discovered by accident. I was about 15 and had gone skiing for the first (and so far only) time with my dad, his girlfriend and my sister but was ill. He had a copy of High Fidelity and as I was stuck in bed I finished my books and so started on his. It was love at first chapter. JRR Tolkien was one that my mum read to me when I was a child. We started on The Hobbit and then I started reading LOTR alone when I was abot 10 I think the first time.

All of my top 5 authors have become favourites after reading only one book and then wanting to read everything they have written which I am working on. I get a lot of great recommendations from my best friend who used to work in a book shop and is a crazy reader like me, as well as online blogs since I started Keeping one myself which I am very grateful for.

The photo at the top was taken at the weekend of a collection of small Egyptian cat statues in the British Museum. I went there to find the Gilgamesh tablets which I did and there was an exhibition on cats as a bonus.

13 comments:

Julia said...

I have seen the movie for LOTR but I just couldn't make myself finish reading the books. I just don't know why LOL! But I love LOTR, one of my favorite movies and I collected all of them in series. And have re-watch them twice

Also I saw Interview with Vampire and love the movie too but I couldn't find myself to read the book. And again I don't know why LOL...

Maybe someone out there can explain it *grin*......Happy BTTs to you!

Marg said...

I forgot to mention Anne Bishop in my list! Darn!!

MiLeTTe said...

it's a good feeling when you discover good authors by accident..

mine is also up!

BooksPlease said...

I read Tolkien before I saw the movies and prefer the books.

What an interesting photo -I'd like to see that exhibition

cj said...

What a great photograph! Thanks for sharing it.

And I first read The Hobbit and the LOTR series when I was in 8th grade. Such an amazing adventure.

cjh

gautami tripathy said...

I like Tolkien books. Movies, I have not seen.

I suppose I should have added Harry Potter series too even though I did not like the last two!

Jaimie said...

I went through an intense Anne Rice period about ten or fifteen years ago. I was hooked on her creepy stories and characters!

Nymeth said...

I got into Anne Rice the same way as you. I saw Interview With the Vampire when I was 12. Then, at 14, my best friend and I started taking turns buying her books and lending them to each other.

I got into Neil Gaiman through Tori Amos. Terry Pratchett was recommended to me by a friend, but it was Good Omens that sealed the deal. I discovered Douglas Coupland after randomly picking up one of his book from my university's library.

Most of these were love at first sight, with the exception of Terry Pratchett, but I blame having read a translation.

Melody said...

I haven't read the LOTR series, but I really enjoyed the movies. I have several books by Anne Bishop in my TBR pile, just haven't got around to reading them yet. Probably soon I hope. I have so many books to catch up with...

Thanks for sharing the pic. Looks interesting. :)

pussreboots said...

Interesting selection. I finally have my list up.

Literary Feline said...

I love the Egyptian cat display! Thank you for sharing the photo, Rhinoa.

I really like Anne Bishop as well. And Anne Rice. Like you, I discovered her after seeing the movie Interview with a Vampire. I still haven't read most of her books, but the ones I have read, I have loved. I hope to read High Fidelity one day. I like the movie quite a bit. And JRR Tolkien, definitely is among my favorites. I have only read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books. I would like to read more by him at some point.

Chris said...

Cool pic. I have a few authors who I want to read everything they've ever written too.

JK said...

Hmmmm... all time top 5? Based on my reading several works by an author (as opposed to a fave series like Lewis/Narnia) I would say Kurt Vonnegut, Michael Chabon, John Steinbeck, Cormac McCarthy and Pratchett/Gaiman tie!