Saturday, December 08, 2007



Rating : 4.5/5
Reason for Reading : Seconds Challenge

John Wheelwright narrates this tale of Owen Meany and their lives as best friends. Owen is unnaturally small and is "The Voice" due to his unusual voice which has never broken and is expressed always in the text by capital letters. Owen hits a baseball early on in the tale that kills John's mother during a Little League game which causes his belief that he is "Gods Instrument". The other main contributor to the young Owen is when he is in a play of "A Christmas Carol" and he seems his name and date of death on Scrooge's tombstone whilst playing The Ghost of What is Yet to Come.

This was a really powerful book with a set of great characters. Owen is such a funny little man wiht a firm faith and an outstanding power of procognition at times. John and his family members were all great characters as well and I feel like I will really miss them all now that I have finished the book. How everything starts to really come together towards the middle of the novel is wonderful and some of it isn't obvious until right at the very end is very well written and makes you gasp.

I can't recommend this novel enough to any lover of fiction and great story telling. I have now read two books by Irving (this and "The World According to Garp") and I will definitely be reading more in the future.

7 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I have had a copy of this on on my TBR shelf for quite a while now. I've heard horrid review to rave reviews. It sure does sound good and your review is very encouraging. :-)

Dewey said...

You've read Irving's two most popular books! So many people who love Irving cite this as their favorite, but it's not even in my top five. I really recommend Cider House Rules next. It's my second favorite after Garp!

Rhinoa said...

Literary Feline - Don't believe the bad reviews it's great! It's quite anti-war and has some interesting ideas on religion and religious beliefs which may explain any negative opinions.

Dewey - I keep meaning to get around to that one but I don't have it yet. At the moment I only have Until I Find You at home to read.

Dewey said...

Uh oh! I found Until I Find You almost unreadable; I had to dump it halfway through. Hope you like it better than I did!

Rhinoa said...

I hope so too Dewey...!

BookGal said...

I second the vote for Cider House Rules. I also haven't been able to get into any of the recent novels.

raidergirl3 said...

make you gasp

exactly! I read the last 30 pages with my hand over my mouth and tears in my eyes.
The way Irving tied it all together was fantastic. I can see where some Republicans might not enjoy the commentary on politics, but I thought it was brilliant and rather prophetic about some of American politics and the war today