Saturday, December 29, 2007



Rating : 4.0/5
Reason for Reading : Something About Me Challenge

Susie Salmon is 14 when she is raped and murdered by a neighbour on December 6th 1973. He dumps her body parts in a sink hole, locked inside an old safe. As it turns out, she is by no means his first victim and she won't be his last.

Up in heaven Susie gets to watch her family and friends deal with her death and continue with their lives, although she is not able to influence her. She watches her father suspect their neighbour with no one believing him, her mother begin an affair and disengage from her family, her sister get her first boyfriend and her younger brother lock his feelings away. One final chance is left to Susie on earth in the form of Ruth, a girl who was in her class in school.

I mostly really enjoyed this novel. The idea of heaven was interesting and I liked that it was forever changing as the soul changed and learnt new things about themselves, earth and the people still living there. It was also good to see how the different people dealt with Susie's death, it was very realistic writing. The only part I didn't like so much was near the end in a scene involving Ruth, Ray and Susie which spoilt the realistic illusion for me a little. That it didn't particularly have a happy ending to Susie's case again made it more real somehow and the fact that her death still remained somewhat of a mystery.

6 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Alice Sebold has a way of capturing raw emotions and events well, I think. I believe I know which scene you are talking about with Ray, Ruth and Susie. It was my least favorite part of the book, I think, for the reason you mentioned. Great review!

Ladytink_534 said...

I know I've heard of this before. It does sound really interesting but also something that would probably be kind of depressing.

jehara said...

i love this book. i actually liked that part of the book with ray, susie and ruth. i guess 'cause i was happy that susie could have one last life experience and it seemed to give them all closure on the way she was brutally ripped from the world. peter jackson is turning this into a film. i hope it does the book justice.

Melody said...

I want to read this book, but just haven't got around to picking it up yet. However, I have her other book "Almost Noon" sitting in my TBR pile, probably I will get to this first. ;)

jehara said...

i have Almost Moon on hold at the library. i can't wait to get my hands on that!

Rhinoa said...

I got a paperback copy of Almost Moon at the airport just before Christmas which I will try and read in 2008/9. It was depressing, but definitely worth checking out anyway.