Sunday, December 02, 2007

It's been a busy week and a bit. Last Saturday me and my husband Alex managed to have a whole day off together (he usually works weekends) so we decided to go to St Pauls Cathedral as I have wanted to go for ages. I found a voucher that got us in two for one and we spent a while looking around the ground floor before climbing the many stairs to the various levels. The first level is the whispering gallery where you whisper against the wall and someone on the other side of the dome can hear it. We finally got it to work which confused me as I hadn't seen Alex sneak off and then hearing his voice next to me I was really confused when he wasn't there! The other two levels were outside giving a good view over the city (the Stone Gallery and the Golden Gallery). I took some nice photos on my mobile phone but for some reason I can't get them to upload.


After going to St Pauls we had tickets to see the RSC performance of King Lear staring Sir Ian McKellan (Gandalf!) as King Lear and Slyvestor McCoy as The Fool (one of the old Dr Who actors). It was a great performance and all the actors were fab in their roles. It is my favourite Shakespeare play and I have wanted to see it performed on stage since I first read it. The best thing was getting a lot of autographs afterwards of the cast including Sir Ian and Sylvestor who were both really sweet.

Thursday this week we went to see an English guy called Lethal Bizzle in concert. He is a grime artist (the UK equivalent of Hip Hop) and it was a great night. There were five acts on and a radio one DJ had put it on called Tim Westwood who is a master of underground music. I hadn't been to a rap/hip hop/grime night before and we both really enjoyed it. It's always good to try new things, especially when it comes to music.

Friday night was spent in Wembley Arena watching UK comedian Bill Bailey. He has somewhat of a cult following over here (not sure if he has made it over seas at all) and is sort of a cross between Billy Connolly and Eddie Izzard. He blended comedy with music as well as a fun visual display behind him. He ended with a cover of "Creep" by Radiohead alongside a Bollywood Indian band which worked really well. A great night.





13 comments:

Nymeth said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend!

I want to make it to St. Paul's cathedral before I go back for good. I've only seen it from afar. I didn't know about the whispering gallery, that sounds so cool.

And that is so cool that you got to meet Sir Ian Mckellan! I'm jealous!

Chris said...

What an incredible few days! Definitely one for the memory books. That's awesome that you got to see Ian McKellan in King Lear...I would love to see that!

Melody said...

The trip sounds fun, Rhinoa! I'd love to see the performance too...

BTW, you are tagged for a Christmas meme. ;)

tanabata said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I really miss being able to see plays and musicals. It was one of the best things about living in London.
Bill Bailey's pretty hilarious!

jehara said...

i'm jealous that you can see plays at the RSC. *sigh*
i saw part of antony and cleopatra there the first time i went to london (a school trip for drama kids) but wouldn't you know, my drama teacher didn't even LIKE shakespeare, and everyone else was bored so we LEFT. i didn't want to leave but i had to 'stay with the group.' i still groan at the memory.

Rhinoa said...

Nymeth - yeah the whispering gallery takes a bit to figure out but definitely does work! Let me know if you are in London again so we can meet up.

Chris - it was so worth it! We saw Patrick Stewart in The Tempest not too long ago as well and again I got his autograph (I am such a geek hehe).

Melody - Thanks I will check out your blog tomorrow hopefully, if not at the weekend when I get back from Prague.

Tanabata - Yay someone who knows BIll Bailey :) I love going to plays and I am so glad my husband indluges me and my randomness, he's pretty cool about stuff like this.

Jehera - if you come back to the UK I will take you and show you around London don't worry :) What an idiot your teacher was!

Jaimie said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! King Lear sounded fabulous! The last production I saw of Lear was at Stanford college and it was kind of artsy, with the audience sitting on ledges with the players a couple feet away. Very effective! Of course we did not have same caliber as you! Lucky!

DesLily said...

*sigh* you are the second person I know that got to see Ian McKellan in a play and meet him!!... I am green with envy!!!

Zeek said...

Wow! Sir Ian as King Lear! Definitely jealous on that one. plus AUTOGRAPH!? just. wow.

Chris said...

Patrick Stewart in The Tempest?! No way! That's awesome! That's my favorite Shakespeare play and my favorite Star Trek captain ;) I envy you!

Jean Pierre said...

well, the photo of st. paul's that you do have there is very cool!

i am so envious of you seeing "king lear" with ian mckellan...! oh wow!

and bill bailey is hilarious! :D

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!! I love Ian McKlellan!! He is such a fantastic actor!!

By the way, I tagged you for a meme!

Dewey said...

Holy cow does that feminist look like Popeye! Is that Bailey?

You make that show sound very appealing (Eddie Izzard! Radiohead!)but... Bollywood? And Creep? COMBINED? I guess it has to be seen to be believed. ;)