Friday, December 28, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Highlights

It’s an old question, but a good one . . . What were your favorite books this year?
List as many as you like … fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, science-fiction, business, travel, cookbooks … whatever the category. But, really, we’re all dying to know. What books were the highlight of your reading year in 2007?

I have been thinking on and off about this for the last couple of weeks. Now that the year is very nearly over, I think I have only time for one possibly two more books so I guess it is time to answer it. Including the book I am reading at the moment I have read 100 books this year including manga and graphic novels and many of them have been excellent making this a difficult decision. My favourites have been:

Overall : Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Fiction : Lolita - Vladimin Nabokov or A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
Fantasy : Foxmask - Juliet Marillier or Waifs and Strays - Charles de Lint
Urban Fantasy : Twilight - Stephenie Meyer or Moon Called and Blood Bound - Patricia Briggs
Non-Fiction : The Polysyllabic Spree/Housekeeping vs The Dirt - Nick Hornby
Graphic Novel/Manga : Fables Legends in Exile - Bill Willingham
Magical/Mythology : The Odyssey - Homer or The Hero with a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell
Children's Fiction : The Blue Girl - Charles de Lint or The Giver - Lois Lowry

My favourite film at the cinema this year has been Eagle Vs Shark and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD next month.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Some great books there!! I have read a few, and have a few on my TBR list (namely Moon Called, Twilight and The Blue Girl!)

Chris said...

I'm so glad to see The Blue Girl on your list as I'm reading that one next year :) The Giver was excellent as well. I read that one this year. Great picks!

Literary Feline said...

I have a copy of Lolita, but I think it will take a lot to get me to pick it up and read it. I need some serious motivation for that one. I've heard it's really good though.

I hope to someday read Stephanie Meyer and Patricia Briggs' series. They both sound like they would be good.

And Charles de Lint is an author I would like to try someday. I don't think I've read anything by him before.

Great list!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I enjoyed Lolita too, well enjoyed probably isn't quite the right word...

Nymeth said...

I really can't wait to read Lolita and Waifs and Strays. In fact, I think I'm going to put them on my birthday list, so that I can get my hands on them soon.

I really need to pick up Twilight sometime too.

Melody said...

I have Patricia Briggs' books on my TBR pile...and I still need to finish off Eclipse too... I just wish I could squeeze in some more time for my reading!

Carl V. said...

I was wondering about Juliett Marillier. Her book covers, the amazing ones by Kinuko Y. Craft, always make me want to pick up her books. I'll have to read your review.

Fables is excellent, isn't it?

Blue Girl is one of the books I want to read soon. I'm reading Little (Grrl) Lost by de Lint now and am enjoying it. Not as much as his adult fiction, but it is still entertaining. I like how you broke down your categories like this.