Thursday, December 20, 2007

Booking Through Thursday


And, the Nominees Are….

What fiction book (or books) would you nominate to be the best new book published in 2007?(Older books that you read for the first time in 2007 don’t count.)
What non-fiction book (or books) would you nominate to be the best new book published in 2007? (Older books that you read for the first time in 2007 don’t count.)
And, do “best of” lists influence your reading?

To be honest I haven't read much that was published this year. Fiction wise I have read:

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
Blood Bound - Patricia Briggs
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling

And Non-Fiction I have read:

Pies and Prejudice - Stuart Maconie
The Complete Polysyllabic Spree - Nick Hornby

I really enjoyed all five and they got some of my highest ratings. Twilight and Blood Bound are both Urban Fantasy books with a difference and I highly recommend them both. I don't really need to say anything about Harry Potter... Pies and Prejudice was a travel guide to the North of England (where I am from). It covered lots of places I know and was fun and interseting at the same time giving me lots of recommendations for places to visit when I am up in Liverpool. The Complete Polysyllabic Spree was a reading guide of the books Nick Hornby read whilst writing his collum for The Believer magazine published in the USA. I got some great recommendations for myself, family and friends and love his writing style so again I recomend it.

I haven't really paid attention to "best of" lists before, but I have been doing some challenges reading prize winning books which has been really fun. Oh and of course I am reading at least 50 of the Guardians 100 Greatest Books of All Time for a personal challenge. I have started to pay a little more attention to "best of" lists, but still prefer to use recommendations from people I know, blogs that I read or other review sources rather than just because it won a prize.

The picture above is my baby girl Morgaine having her close up. She's just so pretty bless her ^_^

11 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

You're the first person I've seen with nonfiction on their list!

gautami tripathy said...

I want to read that Hornby book. Hope I do so!

I too have posted my list.

Jaimie said...

Same here. I don't read alot of books just published. Your kitty looks very cute!

Marg said...

I have a Patricia Briggs here that I am determined to read soon....it will have to be next year now!

Chris said...

I hear good things about Twilight. i also prefer recommendations to lists.

Nithin said...

I haven't really got anything to suggest except for HP7. I haven't read any books other books published in 2007. :-)

Melody said...

Twilight is GREAT!!! I really enjoyed reading it... I have yet to read Eclipse but I will do so soon. ;)

Literary Feline said...

I'm hoping to read Twilight one of these days. I've heard it's really good. Harry Potter made my list too. :-)

Amy said...

I enjoyed Twilight a lot and have Blood Bound on my someday list. I have to read Moon Called first.

Virginie said...

I am totally into Stephenie Meyer's series, I'm reading it for the second time in only one month's time;o)

Nymeth said...

I also haven't read many books that were published this year. In fact, other than Harry Potter I can't think of anything.

Morgaine really is pretty. I love how you can see a little bit of her tongue in the picture.