Thursday, December 13, 2007

Booking Through Thursday


Catalog

Do you use any of the online book-cataloguing sites, like Library Thing or Shelfari? Why or why not? (Or . . . do you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking to?? (grin))
If not an online catalog, do you use any other method to catalog your book collection? Excel spreadsheets, index cards, a notebook, anything? Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!
P.S. Incidentally, folks, did you see the clever post Joanna put together with all our Connecting Words from a couple weeks ago? Not to mention, of course Brad’s winner to the contest.

I do use Library Thing. I am a paid user and have put up all of my books along with tags which took ages! It is mostly so I can keep track of what I have as I was accidentally buying duplicates which this should hopefully prevent. I also have a handwritten list of them all which I continue to update using an address book so I can file them under author name. It's a couple of really small address books so I can also carry them around with me if I know I am going book shopping.

I have found Library Thing really useful for getting new ideas from other bloggers and other people with similar books to me. It is also a fun place to see what other people have thought of books I have read too. I always put my reviews up there as well and have met a couple of people online through doing so. Plus I won a cat shaped bar code scanner which makes it much easier to add books through putting up a Harry Potter review. The funny thing was I didn't know about the competition, I just reviewed it as I had read it so it was a lovely surprise to get the email.

The bad thing about Library Thing is finding out how many books I own that I have tagged TBR and knowing that I am still buying more. It's quite obscene, I think I have a book buying addiction...

Oh the photo above is of me and Merlin resting on the new sofa. You need to turn your head to appreciate that we are lying down cuddled up together ^_^

11 comments:

ames said...

I use both LibraryThing and Shelfari. LOL I'm obsessed with books and keeping track of them. :P

Jaimie said...

I have Library Thing too but I started and then stopped for some reason. I could spend hours cataloging!

Stephanie said...

When I found Library Thing last year, I went ahead and purchased the life-time subscription. Figured I would use it!! I'm gradually adding my books. But with the amount I have, it could take a while!!

I'm always afraid to look at the TBR tags. It's sad!

Happy Thursday!!

bookinhand said...

I have discovered Library Thing but never used it. I guess I never thought much about cataloguing my books. Diane

Debi said...

Hello!

I'm stopping by to let you know that I've set up a separate blog for the What's in a Name? challenge. I hope you'll be able to stop by once in while to see what contests are going on and to leave links to any reviews you write. Thanks again for joining!

--Annie

jehara said...

i have a book buying addiction too. so many books i haven't read on my shelves. i use library thing but haven't gotten a paid membership yet so only some of my books are listed. certainly not all. someday. someday i will get around to it. the little address book is a good idea.

Melody said...

I have a book buying addiction too! I don't think I'm able to update all the books I owned anyway, too time consuming...so I make a habit of updating them whenever I buy the new books nowadays, hehe.

Literary Feline said...

You are so right about the one bad thing when it comes to LT. Even though I keep an excel list of all my TBR books too, the total isn't right there in my face every time I log on. With LT, I always know how many books I have tagged as TBR--and it's most of my library!

I haven't finished tagging all of my books, but I do try and tag them as I add the TBR books in and then again as I read them.

pussreboots said...

I have my own homemade catalog for keeping track of my books. Happy BTT.

heather (errantdreams) said...

Awwww. The pic of you & merlin is adorable!

Alice Teh said...

Hi Rhinoa! I use both BookDB2 (offline database) and LT. Best part is they can import/export with each other. That's how I entered everything into my LT...

Cool pic too! :D