Sunday, November 04, 2007

Stardust - Film

Rating : 5.0/5

Based on the novel and graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess (Gaiman was the producer), directed by Matthew Vaughn it is a fantasy tale of finding your true love in the most unexpected of places. Dunstan Thorn always wanted to know what was beyond the Wall. It looked like just another field but folk said there was another world hidden behind it. One day he pushed past the guardian to find out once and for all. He finds another world and there a beautiful girl held slave by a witch. While the witch is away they sleep together before Dunstan returns to the other side of the Wall. Nine months later a basket is brought to him containing his son Tristan.

The tale is really about Tristan, who knows nothing of his unusal birth. He is in love with Victoria, a girl in the town out of his league and being pursued by another. To win her heart he tells her he will go across the Wall and bring back a fallen star. The star is not what he expected when he finds it, he finds in place of a lump of metal a beautiful young lady called Yvaine. Trying to take her back to Victoria becomes complicated as she doesn't want to be someones gift, she is being chased by an evil witch who wants to cut out her heart and eat it so she will remain young and beautiful, and they are being chased by a couple of princes who want the necklace she is wearing to proclaim them to be the new King of the land.

Me and Alex both loved this film. We hadn't read the book so it was all new to us (I will definitely be reading it in the future as well as the graphic novel). The cameos of the random British comics as the princes was great, they were all really funny (it's great to be able to name your seven kids 1-7!). I am not sure if American's would recognise them apart from Rupert Everett (Secundus) and possibly Ricky Gervais (the trader Ferdy the Fence). The special effects were spectacular and all the actors were great in their parts. I particularly loved Robert De Niro as the interesting Captain Shakespear, very very funny.

If you haven't seen this film, what are you waiting for?!? Definitely one I will be getting on dvd and watching again and again.

7 comments:

Chris said...

I've been waiting for a review by someone who hadn't read the book yet! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) Wasn't it wonderful? I can't wait for this one to come out on DVD. I hope it has some cool extras. If you read the novel, I highly suggest the illustrated version!

Nymeth said...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it :) Now do read the book! :P

Captain Shakespeare is not in the book at all. They made him up from scratch, but I think he fit in very well. I liked him a lot.

The funny bits also worked really well. The whole room was laughing out loud when I saw it!

Rhinoa said...

Thanks Chris. I will definitaly be reading it and hopefully enjoy it as much as the film. Some extras would be great, maybe some deleted scenes and about doing the make-up as the transformation of Michelle Pfeifer was amazing.

jehara said...

i still need to see this. the book is very good.

Alice Teh said...

The book is great. I'm thinking of getting Neil Gaiman's other works as well. Lastly, I'm definitely watching Stardust on film. :D

Stephanie said...

I am so sad I missed this one at the theater!! I wanted to see it really bad. I guess I'm just going to have to wait for DVD!

Josette said...

Oh my gosh! I love the film to bits! I haven't read the book yet though - planning to read it soon.

The movie is really incredible - the sound effects, special effects, actors' performances...they are completely flawless. Yup, it's one of those movies that I'll watch again and again. =)