Thursday, November 08, 2007

Since I started blogging I have found lots of great blogs I really enjoy reading. One has been Nymeth at Things Mean a Lot who has similar reading tastes to me. Her blog is a great place to find recomendations and we got to talking about doing our own reading challenge. We each picked 5 books for the other one to read in 2008. They are books that we love and that we think the other one will like. I picked the following for Nymeth to read:

The Black Jewels Trilogy - Anne Bishop (a wonderful fantasy tale)
Waifs and Strays - Charles de Lint (I know Nymeth will love him and this is a great introduction of lots of his short stories from throughout his career, lots of fantasy and fairy tale lore)
The Other Boleyn Girl - Phillippa Gregory (historical fiction at it's best)
Daughter of the Forest - Juliet Marillier (another great fantasy tale based on a fairy tale)
Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov (wonderfully written fiction)

I hope she reads them all and enjoys them. She picked the following for me to read over 2008:

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - you read my post about this one today, so no need to add anything :P
Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland - a really lovely story about loneliness that is both sad and uplifting.
Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones - this is a fantasy book that retells two Scottish ballads, Tam Lim and Thomas the Rhymer. The setting is quite realistic, though. It's more of a urban fantasy, and the main reason why I love it is because Diana Wynne Jones depicts people's feelings and relationships quite brilliantly in it.
Big Fish by Daniel Wallace - The book that gave origin to the Tim Burton movie. The movie expands the story quite a bit, actually. When I first read it I was a little disappointed that it didn't have everything the movie does, but later it really grew on me, and now I love both equally. It's a beautifully written book.
Death: The High Cost of Living by Neil Gaiman - I know Neil is not your favourite, but this one tells a great story, and plus it has an introduction by Tori Amos!

I am really looking forward to reading them all (randomly Eleanor Rigby is my favourite Beatles song). If this inspires you why not do the same with someone you have met in the blogging world and learn a bit more about each other.

10 comments:

Chris said...

What a cool idea! Y'all are gonna have so much fun with this. Great books that you two picked out as well. I may have to find someone to pair up with too!

Rhinoa said...

Chris you so should. It's a good way to get some great recommendations.

LisaMM said...

What a great idea!! I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl and loved it. Hopefully your friend will too. I was looking to see what you thought about Middlesex but couldn't find the post you referred to. I read that over the summer.

I have a question.. can you tell me how you put the lines through the titles of the books you read? I cannot figure out how to do that. I am entering my first challenge and want to be able to do that on my blog. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Rhinoa said...

Lisamm - It was Nymeth who read Middlesex so check out her blog. I will be reading it next year. To do a line through your words is done using the del and /del tag (put < and > around the words), just put the words you want to cross out between the tags. You can use it on the template page.

jehara said...

that is a great idea!

Bookgirl said...

Wow - I love this idea! I hope you'll keep us posted on how it goes.

Nymeth said...

This is going to be so much fun. I can't wait to start reading. I think I will start with Charles De Lint in January.

Like you said, it'd be cool if some other bloggers did the same!

Robin said...

What a great idea! You two are going to have so much fun, and I'm going to enjoy reading your responses to these books!

a.book.in.the.life said...

What a great idea, I want to do something like that lol! I hope you like Middlesex, I really enjoyed it.

CoversGirl said...

Diana Wynne Jones was one of my favoutite authors in high school, and I love Fire and Hemlock. I'll look forward to seeing what you think of it.