Thursday, November 29, 2007

Booking Through Thursday


Rolling

Do you get on a roll when you read, so that one book leads to the next, which leads to the next, and so on and so on?


I don’t so much mean something like reading a series from beginning to end, but, say, a string of books that all take place in Paris. Or that have anthropologists as the main character. Or were written in the same year. Something like that… Something that strings them together in your head, and yet, otherwise could be different genres, different authors…

Yes definitely. I love vampire and urban fantasy books so I can sit and read lots of these in a row by people like Kelley Armstrong, Patricia Briggs and Laurell K Hamilton. Reading challenges like Once Upon a Time and RIP encourage this as it's a seris of books from within the same or similar genres which helps focus me sometimes. I tend not to read books written in the same year o npurpose, but I do read series from start to finish, books with similar main characters or with similar themes running through them. At the moment I am trying to catch up on a lot of literary fiction which is very varied in style and subject, but are all recognised as having a large impact on the reading world.

I do try and break up my reading though. If I find I have been reading a lot of fantasy for instance I will deliberately try a different genre next. I can find that ideas become stale if I read the same type of book over and over in a string for too long. If you look down the list of books I have read this year on my blog I like to think it is a pretty varied list overall, but closer inspection with reveal definite themes and similarities.

8 comments:

heather said...

The kitty pic is so small I almost didn't recognize it! :D

My theming is a little less intense than yours I think, but I definitely do it. Of course sometimes I get into a theme because a publisher sends me a bunch of books of one type for review.

Chris said...

I think I'm the opposite!

Nymeth said...

I tend to do that too, especially now with Reading Challenges. But I do like variety, otherwise I get bored after a while.

Jaimie said...

Sometimes when I am on a particular subject for a while I realize I have to break it up too. With all the reviewing I am doing now and the challenges, it is easier to read a wide variety of things. Happy BTT!

Cee Cee said...

I need more challenges!

pussreboots said...

I participate in a lot of reading challenges. They keep on "rolling." Happy BTT.

Melody said...

I guess I'm a mixer...although the books definitely keep me "rolling" for the reading challenges, hehe.

Literary Feline said...

I have my moments of reading on a roll too. But then other times, as you said, it's nice to mix things up.