Thursday, November 22, 2007

Booking Through Thursday


Connecting Words

Okay, today’s question is going to be a little different. First, I’m posting it early because Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the U.S. and I’m going to be busy making and eating turkey as I’m sure some of you will also be, so I want to give everyone time to play. And two, because I’m basically going to link you through to somebody else’s blog with a question that I thought was pretty interesting.
Joanna and Brad are asking about “connecting words,” and they don’t mean conjunctions like “and” or “but.” No, what they’re looking for are unique, or treasured words that we’ve found out and about in our daily travels, words that might not be common usage, or often heard, but which struck a chord for some reason.
This is unorthodox, of course, but here’s the thing: if you link back to Joanna’s post (which is where the rules are written), you’re eligible to win a prize. Not to mention joining in some great conversation about interesting words.
I’m not sure if you’re supposed to leave a comment there or not. She only specifies that you should link to it in your post, but . . . I suppose a comment wouldn’t hurt. But, as always, comment here, too, please so that all of us can play along. I’ve already answered this one here.

A while back when the last Harry Potter novel came out I remember getting into a discussion on Colleen Gealson's blog about the English sland words that JK Rowling had used in the books. Words like "macking" "snogging" "git" and "bloody" that American's don't use. "Macking" isn't one that I have heard but the other three I have been using for years and it's interesting to hear American's and people from other countries using them, it makes me laugh a little (like hearing Indian people saying "bloody hell" in their beautiful rich accents around London). I think everyone who reads this post should try and put a piece of British slang into their next post :)

9 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

LOL!

I am Indian and I don't say "Bloody Hell" in my RICH accent!

As a matter of fact I stay away from swear words. Unless it is damn!

I found this meme a bit difficult. However I did it.

Rhinoa said...

Hehe sorry, I just love Indian accents. They are so comfprting somehow. I used to work with a group of Indian and Sri Lankan people who I got on really well with and my best friend's father is from Pakistan.

Joanna said...

Hi Rhinoa

Have to confess I haven't read the recent HP novels, just the first two. And macking is a new word to me!

One of the things I've learnt from blogging is that there are 'ordinary' words that we use that are unfamiliar to readers in the US (and vice versa of course) so we can find ourselves using slang without meaning to!

Thanks for joining in the conversation and making the connection

Joanna

Chris said...

I like snogging but I can't say I've ever used it!

Brad Shorr said...

I agree with Chris. Unfortunately, when we Americans use British slang, we do sound a bit silly. But your slang is marvelous, so I love reading it. Thanks for posting on our project!

--Deb said...

I love British slang . . . possibly because I don't really know all the connotations so that it doesn't sound as crude as it possibly (sometimes) is!

My Chutney Garden said...

Coming from the West Indies where we were all colonies, it's interesting to see the variations on English slang. A big one here is "lime" which means getting together for some chat and shooting the breeze. As in i'm having a lime tonight".

Melody said...

Great choices of words, Rhinoa! I find "macking" interesting because I don't think I have heard this before. Well, I won't be playing this week because I can't think of any word...yet. LOL.

pussreboots said...

I'm an American and I use "git", "snogging" and "bloody hell." Happy BTT.