Tuesday, October 09, 2007



Rating : 4.5/5
Reason for Reading : Seconds Challenge, to see what happened next to Alice

Alice dreams again, this time of a world through the looking-glass mirror. The world is based on a chess board and Alice starts her journey as a pawn of the White Queen trying to reach the eighth square to become a Queen herself. It loosely follows the rules of chess in movements and ideas, but only a few of the key pieces follow the chess board names (the Knights, Pawns, Kings and Queens).

Alice meets the Red and White Kings and Queens, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, Humpty Dumpty and The Lion and The Unicorn. The March Hare and Mad Hatter turn up again as messengers for the White King Hatta and Haigha (pronounced to rhyme with "major"). It includes many more poems and nursery rhymes that the first one, and later on Alice points out they all involve fish (this is explained at the end).

I think I prefer this one Wonderland just. I used to play chess growing up and got to be quite good (I played for my junior school and my senior school, as well as the girls team for my city and the mixed team as well in competitions. We got to tour a little bit around the UK playing other cities which was fun). Again I loved the illustrations and the ideas behind it and remembered seeing an old animated version of it which was a pretty good adaptation it turned out. THe ending was intersting wondering if it was Alice's dream or the Red Kings. I am assuming that Lewis Carroll is supposed to be the Red King.

4 comments:

Alice Teh said...

Alice is jumping into this book soon (book sitting in a TBR somewhere). Thanks for the review!

Nymeth said...

I think I like this one a tiny bit better. It's slightly more bizarre. This reminds me that I've yet to read Lewis Carroll's non-Alice works.

Rhinoa said...

Alice - I hope you enjoy reading about your namesake!

Nymeth - I need to try out some of his other stuff at some point too.

Darla D said...

I always loved the part where she shakes the queen - and what happens after that. :-)