Monday, October 29, 2007


Rating : 4.0/5
Number in Series : #2 in Varjak Paw series
Raeson for Reading : Four-Legged Friends Challenge, to complete the series

It follows on directly from Varjak Paw with the Mesopotamian Blue cat now living on the streets with Tam, Holly and Cludge. They are hungry and finding it very difficult to find food in the winter months. To make matters worse in the quest for food, Sally Bones' gang are claiming all the best food by law even in the neutral areas of the city. If you aren't in Sally Bones' gang, you don't get any food.

Varjak and his friends go to the wise Mrs Moggs for advice on how to deal with Sally Bones. Like Varjak, Sally Bones knows the Way taught to him by his distance ancestor Jalal and she is the best fighter in town. Mrs Moggs isn't a great help only passing on childhood tales and legends. As a result of Varjak causing trouble for her gang, Sally Bones declares him and anyone helping him outlaws to face her terrible punnishment.

A really good follow up to the first book. The illustrations were beautiful again and the new characters fitted in well. It was again very dark in places and I wouldn't recommend it for younger readers (maybe save it for teenagers). I liked that Jalal was in it again offering more wisdom to Varjak when he sleeps and it was interesting to find out how Sally Bones knew the way and her place in the scheme of things.

3 comments:

Nymeth said...

yay, you're back!

I really want to know more about Sally Bones, so I'm going to have to pick this one up soon.

Rhinoa said...

Yes I made it back safely! You will definitaley like this Nymeth.

I can't find my camera lead still so photos will have to wait sadly. Once I do find it I will put up a full summary (we did so much it is going to be one long post...(.

KuroNeko said...

I've read Varjak Paw and The Outlaw Varjak Paw, and now almost obsessed with it. Believe it or not I judge that book by its cover! :P