Thursday, October 11, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Live and In-Person

I said in August, when we talked about fan mail, that I planned on expanding that to live meetings when the time was right. Well, that time is now!
Have you ever met one of your favorite authors? Gotten their autograph?
How about an author you felt only so-so about, but got their autograph anyway? Like, say, at a book-signing a friend dragged you to?
How about stumbling across a book signing or reading and being so captivated, you bought the book?

I think I have been to two book signings on purpose and one by accident. One was a lady called Fiona Horne who writes on paganism and the other was Doug Naylor and the cast of Red Dwarf when a new Red Dwarf book came out. Both sets of people were really friendly and it was a lot of fun. Fiona did a talk first and answered questions (I can't remember what I asked her as it was about 5 years ago). I ended up giving the Red Dwarf book to my dad as a christmas gift.

The accidental one was Robert Rankin who writes comedy fantasy books. He was at a sci-fi convention I went to recently so I got his autograph. I am not a big fan of his, but my husband really likes his books so I got it to annoy him mostly! As it happens I should be going to meet Terry Pratchett with Nymeth on Saturday to get his new book signed. It is going to be a christmas surprise for my husband who is a bigger fan than I am (I really hope he doesn't read this...). It should be fun and I get the bonus of meeting Nymeth for the first time which I am looking forward to.

This time the cat is Merlin. He's been extra thirsty lately and decided to steal my water when I left a glass on the table. I had to keep remembering not to drink from it for the rest of the day and I left it out in case he needed more.

9 comments:

Alice Teh said...

Awww... look at what Merlin is doing!

Nice thing you did with the signed books. :)

DesLily said...

Oh, how great you will meet Terry Pratchett!! Which of his books will you have him sign??

I have a few author signings. Probably the most noted author would be Anne McCaffrey on one of her Pern books.

BooksPlease said...

That'll be a good Christmas present - I hope your husband doesn't read this.

My cat likes drinking water from a glass as well.

tanabata said...

I went to handful of book signings when we lived in the UK, my favourite was probably David Mitchell.
Have fun at the Terry Pratchett signing!

gautami tripathy said...

Intelligent cat!

And one lucky husband!

pussreboots said...

Cats and books, a good combo. Happy BTT.

soleil said...

my cat loves to drink my water. how lucky to hear fiona horne speak. i really enjoy her books. my first boyfriend loved the red dwarf series and got me hooked at the time. i haven't seen it in ages though.
very nice entry.

Literary Feline said...

The signings at my local bookstores tend to be the ones I stumble upon. I rarely know who is appearing where. And there, most of the authors do right the types of books I read, sad to say.

I hope you have fun at the Terry Pratchett signing!

Nymeth said...

It's great to think that after Saturday my answer to this question will be yes :D

Lovely picture of Merlin. My cats don't drink from glasses, but I have caught one drinking from a tap that was leaking.