Monday, September 17, 2007

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer



Rating: 4.5/5
Number in Series: #1 of Twilight series
Reason for Reading: RIP Challenge, Something About Me Challenge

Bella (Isabella) Swan moves from living with her mum in bustling Phoenix to sleepy topwn Forks. She is spending some time where she grew up living with her dad while her mum and new partner look for a new job in Florida. She starts at the local school and makes friends, is a hit with the boys and also encounters Edward. He has pale skin, dark hollows under his eyes and he doesn't associate with anyone else at school apart from his family. She is immediately drawn to him. What she doesn't realise is that he is a vampire. Every step she takes getting closer to him, the more she puts herself in danger.

I really enjoyed this book. The style of writing was very seductive and really drew me in as a reader. It changes some of the essential vampire ideas, giving it a fresh take on an exhausted subject. It isn't "just another vampire book" by any means. It's mostly about relationships and Bella getting to know Edward. The last 100 pages or so take a different turn when an outside threat enters the neighbourhood and Bella's life is at risk. The tone of the book changed which I wasn't sure about at first as I liked the gentle building a lot.

I will definately be reading the rest of the series and have New Moon to start when I get time. If you like a good story, vampires or teen dramas than I recommend this to you.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Cool! As popular as this series is, this is the first review I've read of it. I've sort of ignored it assuming that I wouldn't like it. I really should stop doing that. But I always read you're blog, so I read the review ;) And it sounds like something that I'd actually really enjoy! I'll have to give it a go!

Becky said...

I do love this series. Especially the first one. I thought Meyer's writing was so good. And it was amazing how she made the chemistry between Bella and Edward so strong, yet kept it clean.

I hope you enjoy the other two in the series!

Stephanie said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this book for the challenge! I can't believe I actually waited this long!

I'm excited to see how you like the rest of the books in this series!

Trish said...

I've heard great things about this book; I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Literary Feline said...

You all are wearing me down . . . I'll have to read this one! I'm glad you enjoyed Twilight, Rhinoa.

Melody said...

Hey Rhinoa! I love this series! I've yet to read Eclipse...but I will soon probably after completing those reading challenges, hehe. Who knows? I might jump into it if the mood strikes! ;)

soleil said...

i just finished reading Eclipse. this is a good little series. i like that she interprets the vampire myth differently AND the werewolf myths too. she is a very imaginative author. looking forward to your opinions of the next two.

Framed said...

I really need to get on the bandwagon and read these books. Maybe when they're all out in paperbook.

Court said...

Happy to hear you've enjoyed this book. :) It's one of my favourites - I absolutely adore Alice. :) Hope you enjoy the other books in the series as much as you did this one. :)