Thursday, September 27, 2007

Booking Through Thursday



Buy a Friend a Book Week is October 1-7 (as well as the first weeks of January, April, and July). During this week, you’re encouraged to buy a friend a book for no good reason. Not for their birthday, not because it’s a holiday, not to cheer them up–just because it’s a book.
What book would you choose to give to a friend and why?
And, if you’re feeling generous enough–head on over to Amazon and actually send one on its way!

I just bought most people I know books last week. It was my uncle, my best friends and my mums birthdays and I bought my husband a book randomly which he is loving. I got my friend and husband books recommended by Nymeth over at Things Mean a Lot :(The Salt Roads by Nalo Hopkinson for my friend and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Micharl Chabon for my husband), my mum a book in a series I previously got her (Ironside by Holly Black) and my uncle a book my mum recommended to me which I loved (Life of Pi by Yann Martel).

The people above read lots anyway and don't really need my help buying more books (especially my best friend!). I have another friend who I recently found out is into reading. She likes Jodi Picoult, Mark Haddon and crime books. Funnily enough she isn't the type of person I would peg as being a big reader so I would be tempted to get her something she doesn't have that I think she would like. Possibly A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon if she doesn't have it or perhaps something by Nick Hornby (one of my favourite authors) who she might like. There is always The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold which Jodi Picoult fans should like or something by Alice Hoffman who I have recently discovered and think she might like. I am always tempted to get books for my sister who has an english degree and is training to be an english teacher, then I remember she never reads for pleasure so I don't bother. It makes me really sad that she isn't more into books and I wonder how she can recommend books to her students if she doesn't read herself.

The photo above is Morgaine climbing about on my father-in-law when they stayed a couple of weeks ago as we moved house. They are settled in to the new place really well now and I think my folks-in-law really miss having them around. Once Morgaine is on heat we hope to find her a boy cat and get her pregnant and hopefully they will have one of the kittens.

13 comments:

heather said...

Awwww that's such a cute photo! I love your weekly cat photo. :)

Carla Nikol said...

sounds like you have a very exciting life. makes me long for travelling around the world. i like your taste in books and have read many of those you'd pick for friends. i work in a bookstore so i too am obsessed with being surrounded by the heavenly things at work and at home. i look forward to reading more of your blog later when i have more time.

DeN said...

Hey there! I love your cat's pic. I have a boy cat *wink, wink* but he's a little thing and I think Morgaine would scare him.

I have to try some of the books in your lists. Happy BTT!

tanabata said...

Aww, kittens would be nice!
Most of my friends aren't readers so I rarely buy books as gifts. :(

Nymeth said...

I hope your friend and your husband enjoy the books! You should borrow them once they are done :P

Again, a lovely picture of Morgaine. Looking at it makes me miss my kitties!

Stephanie said...

I love checking out the weekly "kitty" pictures!! I like buying books as gifts. It's my favorite way to go. But you really have to know the person you are buying for, don't you?

Literary Feline said...

My husband recently read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay because I thought he might like it. :-) It's so much fun finding the "perfect" book for a particular person, isn't it? And it helps to be surrounded by other readers.

Melody said...

I like Jodi Picoult's books. I have heard a lot of good reviews about The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold so I'll have to check this out as well.

Looking forward to seeing more kitty pics. ;)

Alice Teh said...

Love the kitty pics! I want more! I want more! :D

jenclair said...

I loved The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay! Hope your husband enjoys it.

soleil said...

life is pi is a fantastic book! and i love alice hoffman. her books are so rich and lyrical. and i like how they usually have an element of the supernatural but not over the top. The Lovely Bones is being made into a movie with Peter Jackson directing. i am kind of nervous about it but i heard that he is being fanatical about it, getting the right script, the right cast, etc. so it will probably be good. and her new book is due out soon. i can't wait to get it.
i love morgaine's little white feet. so cute!

soleil said...

life OF pi. ;p

Janet said...

Thank you for reminding me about this! I meant to go home last night and find a book I wanted to share and forget. Tonight for sure!