Thursday, September 13, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Morgaine has been helping me pack my books in preparation for the big move on Monday. She has been employed in a supervisory capacity of course being a cat.

Comfort Food

Okay . . . picture this (really) worst-case scenario: It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do (other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.
What do you read?
(Any bets on how quickly somebody says the Bible or some other religious text? A good choice, to be sure, but to be honest, I was thinking more along the lines of fiction…. Unless I laid it on a little strong in the string of catastrophes? Maybe I should have just stuck to catching a cold on a rainy day….)

My comfort food with books are books I loved as a child. Maybe something like The Enchanted Forest books or The Wishing Chair series by Enid Blyton. Also the Anastasia books by Lois Lowry, The Worst Witch books by Jill Murphy or The REdwall books by Brian Jacques. Also something like His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, anything by Anne Rice or Tolkien. I don't really go in for religious texts when I am down, I read them more because I like mythology and it's interesting seeing the similarities and differences between them. I have comfort films and programmes too. Bridget Jones is always good when you feel down as well as kids films again (Legend, Labyrinth, Willow, Care Bears etc).

13 comments:

Nymeth said...

Old childhood favourites really can be very comforting. Anne Rice is also a good choice - her books are dark, of course, but I get so lost in them I would surely forget my sorrows for a few hours. For me there's also Harry Potter and Discworld, two series that never fail to make me happy.

I hope everything goes well with the move on Monday!

Angela Young said...

The books we read as children do it every time ... don't they?

Debi said...

Oh yes, there is definitely something to be said for revisiting childhood favorites!

Pam said...

Oh yes, we simply cannot do anything without our cats supervising can we? ;) I have three supervisors of my own. lol!

I love those Bridget Jones books too. Perfect for a rainy/gloomy day.

Alice Teh said...

I like mythology too. Not to mention children's books. I used to find so much comfort in Enid Blyton's books... :)

Marianne Arkins said...

I love my childhood faves: The Prydain Chronicles, and The Dark is Rising...

You gave some great choices!

Happy BTT!

gautami tripathy said...

Oh yes! I still love to read Enid Blytons.

teabird said...

sometimes I'll read a really, really sappy book I loved as a child, like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm...

Stephanie said...

I LOVE Bridgit Jones!! She cracks me up...and let's face it. Her life is not easy!

I need to read the Anastasia books!!

heather said...

The photo of Morgaine on your bookshelves reminds me of a photo of one of our cats as a kitten pretending to be a bookend.

Best of luck with the move! I hate moving. :(

Julia said...

I too, turn to my childhood favorite books to start. I tend to think that reading them are the way to escape and be yourself.

Great answers, Happy BTT!

Melody said...

Enid Blyton! How'd I forget?! I remember my childhood reading involves a lot about Nancy Drew series, thriller books by R L Stine and a few others.

Best of luck with your moving!

Callista said...

I've only read one Worst Witch book but used to watch the tv show and loved it. My BTT is up.