Thursday, September 06, 2007

Booking Through Thursday


Goldilocks

Okay, so the other day, a friend was commenting on my monthly reading list and asked when I found the time to read. In the ensuing discussion, she described herself as a “goldilocks” when it comes to reading–she needs to have everything juuuuuust right to be able to focus. This caught my attention because, first, I thought that was a charming way of describing the condition, but, two, while we’ve talked about our reading habits, this is an interesting wrinkle. I’d never really thought about it that way.
So, this is my question to you–are you a Goldilocks kind of reader?
Do you need the light just right, the background noise just so loud but not too loud, the chair just right, the distractions at a minimum?
Or can you open a book at any time and dip right in, whether it’s for twenty seconds, while waiting for the kettle to boil, or indefinitely, like while waiting interminably at the hospital–as long as the book is open in front of your nose, you’re happy to read?

Usually I can read a book at any time and anywhere (just like I can sleep anytime and anywhere!). Lately I have been too exhausted to read with background distractions and too light or too dark conditions, but I seem to have turned a corner and am finally getting some sleep. I don't think there is anywhere I won't read (except actually in the bath, I dropped a book in it once) and being a commutor in London I am pretty good at blocking out distractions. The only time I have to put a book down is when one of the cats (it's Merlin above this time, isn't he beautiful decides they need my undivided attention. There really is no way I can read if one of them is head butting the book and walking in front of it repeatedly and purring loudly. Plus Merlin is a dribbler and I always worry he will drool on my book and it will smell of cat dribble which is not the nicest smell!

16 comments:

Melody said...

What a cute kitty!
I can read almost anywhere, as long as there isn't loud music since it'll take away my concentration. Soft music is fine though. And I read alot while travelling via train to work because it takes about an hour to reach my office, so in a way it kills the time too!

Happy BTT!

BooksPlease said...

I read anywhere and at any time time. What is it about cats and books - my cat loves to rub her head on the corners of the cover when I'm reading and then tries to sit in front of the book. I dropped a library book in the bath once - that was embarrassing.

Nymeth said...

I too can read anywhere and at anytime. Well, I also don't read in the bath, because I'm afraid the humidity will be bad for the book even if I don't drop it. My cats sometimes decide to come to my lap and make themselves comfortable right on top of the book I'm reading.

Merlin is gorgeous indeed!

tanabata said...

mmm...cat dribble! ;p
Merlin is very pretty though.

I don't read in the bath either. Too much chance of the book getting wet or damaged.

Marianne Arkins said...

Cat dribble...LOLOL! My cats always liked to lay flat across the book. They do like our attention!

Happy BTT.

Alice Teh said...

I love CATS!!! :D

Happy BTT!

Barbara H. said...

I don't have cats (son is allergic) -- I didn't know they dribbled -- but that's funny about the head-butting the book when he wants attention.

I can pretty much read fiction anywhere, but non-fiction I get too easily distracted.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Daphne said...

Gorgeous cat! Our cat always did the same thing and he was a dribbler as well. It's funny how he never wanted to sit on my lap until I had a book in my hands. Sounds like it definately is a "cat thing" from everyone else's responses.

Chris said...

Hey, that looks like my cat! Thankfully she doesn't drool but I know a cat who does.

I can read anywhere!

Callista said...

I used to put a spare shelf across the tub while I was in it to rest my book on. My BTT is up.

Stephanie said...

You know...if you keep putting up cute kitties in your responses, I MAY be forced to get one!!

Yeah...I'm no Goldilocks either!! The sleep thing, I usually can't do, but reading I can do anywhere, anytime!

Julia said...

You do have a very lovely cat. She is beautiful :)

I pretty much read anywhere, anytime too. I think when I need sleep is when my eyes get droopy but I'm a late owl person *grin*

Literary Feline said...

My cat can be too much of a distraction too. :-) Especially when he lays right on my book. haha

pussreboots said...

Exhaustion is a problem here too. Happy BTT.

soleil said...

i read anywhere too. i also dropped a book in the bath, a library book. learned my lesson there. my kitty likes to crawl up and then sit on my book so i can't see the pages or she will lay on me and attack the book and bite the pages. she likes to eat paper. i don't know why. never saw a cat do that. she's so weird.

Dark Orpheus said...

Like you, I can sleep anywhere anytime, and I can read anywhere, anytime. Have definitely read my books in many odd places - but I always need light.

The cat headbutts your book while you're reading? That's actually kind of cute. :)