Sunday, September 30, 2007

Atonement - Film

Rating : 3.5/5

Finally a decent performance from Kiera Knightly! She plays posh toff Cecilia Tallis who has an affair with Robbie Turner ( the son of the housekeeper played by the wondeful James McAvoy) in the library. The problem is her younger sister Briony witnesses it. She had a crush on Robbie herself but saw a very crude note he never intended to give to her sister, she becomes convinced he is a sex maniac (or perhaps it is merely jealousy). Alongside their cousins are staying while their parents go through a controversial divorce. Lola is the eldest and she catches the eye of their brothers friend who is visiting despite being about 13. When her twin brothers run away a search party is organised. Briony finds Lola face down with a man on top of her. She sees who it is, but tells everyone it was Robbie instead and he is sent to prison.

After prison Robbie is sent off to war in France where him and two other soldiers are seperated from the rest. They meet up with the other survivors on an amazing scene on a beach trying to get home. Cecilia is waiting for him afer having nothing to do with her family since Robbie was taken to prison.

I hated the first 30 minutes because of the over the top Britishness of it! It was really posh accents with phrases like "Mummy are you in the drawing room?" argh! I mean I am British, but it sounded really harsh to my ears. I did start to really enjoy it though once I got used to the accents. It's not my usualy kind of film to be honest, but it had a few great moments in it. The lady in the cinema next to me was crying by the end of it bless. I think I will read the book as well as there were a lot of bits alluded to but weren't really explained in detail. Why on earth did Lola marry the chocoalte factory man?!

4 comments:

Kailana said...

I didn't know this was out yet. I am glad you liked it.

Rhinoa said...

It's out in the UK but not sure about other countries yet...

Literary Feline said...

It is not out in the U.S. yet. I am really looking forward to seeing the movie. From your review, it sounds like there were some slight changes made. I highly recommend reading the book, Rhinoa. Ian McEwan writes so beautifully.

Bellezza said...

I'll NEVER forget this book; it's one of the few which literally made my blood boil. I was so MAD at that little b..ch for ratting out her sister and ruining everyone's lives. As you can tell, I still get upset thinking about it. :P I'm not sure I could see the movie, even though I do like Kiera Knightly. It's interesting that you thought it was a bit "too British" in some places. Thanks for visiting me; I look forward to visiting you again.