Monday, August 06, 2007



Rating : 4.0/5
Number in Series : #1
Reason for Reading : First manga comic and it came recommended by Joss Whedon

I am quite excited to have finally read my first manga comic. I have read a few graphic novels in the past, but not this style. This caught my eye on my trip to Liverpool this weekend in a book shop and the blurb looked fun. The creator Eric Wight was the ghost artist for Seth Cohen on the OC and Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy, Angel and Firefly) wrote a glowing recommendation on the back which helped swing my decision.

It tells the story of Finney Bleak who is an outcast at high school. This is quite an achievement seeing as the other pupils consist of zombies, mummies, vampires, witches and other random creatures. He isn't a big fan of ghosts as well as his house is filled with the ghosts of previous family members playing poker at all hours of the night. Finney's biggest problem is that the talent of his family is to die in bizarre and funny ways. This doesn't really give him anything to look forward to.

One day he is at the visiting carnival with his parents when he meets Jenny Wraith. They instantly bond and spend the day together on the various rides. They arrange to meet up the following day, but despite waiting for hours, Jenny never shows up. What he discovers over the next few days begins to change his attitude towards ghosts.

This was a really sweet tale with fun artwork. Finney's pet gargoyle Mookie was especially adorable. I can't wait for the next in series to come out (unfortately I haven't been able to find a date yet). Recommended to manga and comic lovers as well as those who like fantasy and horror.

3 comments:

Nymeth said...

I've never read a manga comic. I'd like to give one a try too. I really like the sound of this, so I'm adding it my wishlist.

Melody said...

Ooh, I love reading manga comics. I've never seen this one though...will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing. :)

soleil said...

this sounds delightful! and it comes with a glowing recommendation from joss? i'm there.