Monday, August 20, 2007

Eagle Vs Shark - Film


Rating : 4.5/5

A wonderful, wonderful film that I am going to make my husband go and see with me (I know he will love it to). It follows social outcasts Lily and Jarrod as they form the beginnings of a relationship. Both are outcasts in different ways and are quite awkward around people. They meet when Lily works in the local fast food outlet. Jarrod goes in most days for his lunch and they finally get to talk. He asks her to pass on a party invitation to another girl working there where you come dressed as your favourite animal (hence the Eagle Vs Shark title). Lily decides to go with her brother Damien and things go from there.

It is set in New Zealand and is very similar in style to both Napoleon Dynamite (quirky characters), Garden State (the relationship between the two main characters) and The Science of Sleep (combination of real time film and animation). It has lots of very funny moments but is much more than a comedy. The couple both have their past issues. Both of Lily's parents are dead and Jarrod's brother is dead. Jarrod also spends much of the film training to fight a childhood bully who made his life miserable back in school.

I can't wait for this to come out on dvd so I can buy it and I hope to see it at the cinema again before it closes. Even though the characters are very awkward, I think there is still something everyone can associate with in their journey through the film.

5 comments:

Nymeth said...

I had never heard of this movie, but it really sounds like something I must see. You compared it to two of my favourite movies (Napoleon Dynamite I have never seen).

Rhinoa said...

Oh if you like those two Nymeth then you should definately see this film (as well as Napoleon Dynamite). I prefer Eternal Sunshine to Science of Sleep but both are very cool films. Can't find a release date for the dvd yet but will let you know.

Jean Pierre said...

aah! this looks very cool! i loved napoleon dynamite...

Nymeth said...

I prefer Eternal Sunshine too, but then again, I prefer it to absolutely anything because it's my favourite movie :P I will definitely see this movie when I have the chance, and I will rent Napoleon Dynamite.

soleil said...

i haven't heard of this movie but it sounds like a movie i would like. and i also love napoleon dynamite and eternal sunshine. i liked science of sleep but not as much as eternal. i also really liked garden state as well. now i will have to check out the indie cinemas around here to see if they are showing it. thanks for the review.