Thursday, August 30, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Statistics

There was a widely bruited-about statistic reported last week, stating that 1 in 4 Americans did not read a single book last year. Clearly, we don’t fall into that category, but . . . how many of our friends do? Do you have friends/family who read as much as you do? Or are you the only person you know who has a serious reading habit?

Most of my close friends and my husband read lots and are a great source of recommendations (my best friend especially). My mum also reads whenever she has time and we have similar taste in books. Other than that it's quite mixed. Some of my friends don't read at all and others occassionally. It makes me sad when they don't as I feel they are missing out on so many great stories, but I suppose it's up to them. I think besides my best friend and possibly my husband I probably read the most of the people I know and am always trying to get people to read books I have enjoyed. The person I wish would read more is my sister. She did an English degree and is training to be an english teacher, but I have very rarely seen her read for pleasure. She only reads text books and course books, yet she writes and has a great imagination. I think reading more would really improve her style and open her up to even better and greater ideas. I have given up on buying her books though as she just never reads them.

10 comments:

DesLily said...

before his stroke my brother was an avid reader, and my mother read alot before she died.. but now I'm the only one in my family that reads to any degree.
At the moment I'm lucky though, my son married a nice lady with a son who loves to read! At age 11 now I probably associate more with him then my son! lol..

meowminx said...

Reading always takes me to another world and adventure, amd I'm glad there are people like you who still loves to read as much as I do :)

Mine's posted here.

DeN said...

I feel the same way! I feel that people who don't read are missing out on so much. I agree with meowminx too. You get transported to another world when you read.

Happy BTT, Rhinoa!

tanabata said...

I always think that non-readers are missing out too. Unfortunately none of my close friends read much at all. My husband recently got back into reading more so that's been fun.

Nymeth said...

My boyfriend and some of my friends are readers, but they are mostly sporadic readers: they know what it is to be passionate about books, but they only read when they're "in the mood", so they read much less than I do.

My mother is a big reader, but her taste in books is the polar opposite of mine. My father and my brother don't really read.

The rest of the people I know are also not readers, and this includes university students who are majoring in literature and yet grumble when there's a course for which they are expected to read whole books. It makes me sad.

Melody said...

I agree with the others about non-readers missing out...anyway to each his own.

And this is another one good reason why I love book blogs so much, hehe. ;P

BookGal said...

I don't know how someone with an English degree could avoid reading. I must have been reading five or six books at a time between coursework and pleasure reading. You're setting a great example for your sister!

Callista said...

They aren't just missing out on good stories, they are missing out on a way to de-stress and pretend they are in another world. Or in the case of non-fiction, learn something. My answer is here: http://smsbookreviews.blogspot.com/2007/08/booking-through-thursday-statistics.html

Alice Teh said...

I agree that reading gives you ideas and inspiration. That reminds me of the quote I put in for this week's BTT: It is chiefly through books that we enjoy the intercourse with superior minds... In the best books, great men talk to us, give us their most previous thought, and pour their souls into ours. God be thanked for books.

I have given up buying books for others too. They just don't seem to appreciate them. However, I do drop hints to them to get me book vouchers. I know it's very thick-skinned of me, but hey, if they're getting me something, might as well get me anything book-related. LOL. :D

Literary Feline said...

I am still trying to influence my goddaughter and her sister, encouraging them to read, but sometimes I think it is fruitless. Neither of their parents are readers and they really don't encourage it in the girls. Oh well. I bet they think of me as that horrid godmother who buys them useless books for every occasion! Haha