Thursday, August 23, 2007

Booking Through Thursday


Sponsored again by an upside down Morgaine!

Indoctrination

Using a suggestion from Erin today:
When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)

My mum is an English teacher and we always had lots of books around the house. She used to tell us stories over dinner from her memory about Greek myths and legends as well as Arthurian myths and legends. Funnily enough I now love both and reading and learning about mythology is a passion and hobby of mine. I don't remember her reading much to me apart from Peace at Last by Jill Murphy about a bear who can't sleep. He tried different parts of the house and garden before finally back to bed and finally falling asleep. Oh she did read The Forest of Boland Light Railway to us. I don't remember it too well apart from having gnomes, goblins and other forest creatures. It looks like it is really hard to get hold of now, I will have to see if my mum still has a copy I can borrow.

Me and my sister never shared books. Sadly she has never got in to reading (despite doing a degree in English Literature) for pleasure, only reading what she has to for university or work. I got so into reading I used to shut myself in my room and stay up reading by poor light that my mum did try to discourage me a little, obviosuly unsuccessfully! My dad left when I was about 7 and I don't remember him reading much. These days he sticks to crosswords, word puzzles and the occassional Bob Dylan biography.

13 comments:

heather said...

I have GOT to get a camera for cat-photographing. I love your Morgaine photos!

Our library had a great mythology & folklore section, which caused me to develop a similar love of the topic. *happy sigh* Those are the rare happy childhood memories I have---things like sitting at the library for hours on end reading books of folklore.

Alice Teh said...

Hi Rhinoa, I pretty much share your answer except that no one in my family did English lit. I hve decided to do it (been thinking about it for a long, long time) and now actively looking for a school.

My parents are not readers but they do encourage us to read. I seemed to be the bookworm of the family (just like how you describe yourself...). My father left when I was 17 so I am not really bothered with him.

Happy BTT!

Rhinoa said...

Heather - Thanks, she is way more photogenic than her brother. He's too dark to get a decent photo of. You will have to give me some recomendations on mythology, folklore books.

Alice - Yay you for looking for a school, that's great news. I am sure it will work out for you.

Daphne said...

I loved reading Greek mythology when I was younger. I should read some of it again.

Morgaine is adorable - it looks like her front paws are crossed in the picture. How cute!!

DeN said...

We have a lot of things in common... apart from sharing the same blog template! ^_^ (I love the moon, by the way)

I've always been fascinated with mythology but I'm afraid I've never really studied it enough, or learned it enough. I always try to re-write what happened and give the gods lives after the myths :p

I love the pic, too!

Cee Cee said...

Love that Kitty! Maybe that will be my good excuse to post a pic of my two and caption it: blame Morgaine. HaHa.

Stephanie said...

That is such a cool thing about your mom! I love Greek and Roman mythology! Morgaine is just the cutest!!

soleil said...

my mom is the one who got me hooked on reading too. she taught me how to read when i was 3. my sister likes to read and we share books sometimes. we are always recommending new books to each other. my dad doesn't seem to be much of a reader. whenever my mom visits or i visit her we always make at least one trip to the bookstore.

i love that white patch on morgaine's belly. you would never know it's there by looking at her. it's very cute.

Melody said...

What a cute kitty, Rhinoa! :)

I think it's great that your mom shares your passion in reading. Like Alice, I'm the only reader in the family, and sometimes it can be quite lonely. :P But I'm glad to find lots of readers friends through the blogging world. :)

Happy reading!

alisonwonderland said...

some of my sisters weren't readers when we were younger, but now all of us do quite a bit of reading and several of us even attend a book club together.

Literary Feline said...

My father was the one in my family who was drawn to mythology. I picked up some of that from him at one point, but my interests went in other directions as time went on. Someday perhaps I'll find my way back.

My brother was not much of a reader when we were growing up, and while he isn't an avid reader now, he has come to find pleasure in books to some degree. I think a lot of that is due to his stepson's interest in reading. He wanted to share that with him.

Nymeth said...

Another lovely picture of Morgaine!

I don't remember ever being read to or told stories, but my mother is also a teacher, and there were always books around me. I was encouraged to read what I wanted, and I'd often receive books as gifts. None of my parents is interested in mythology or folklore, but they did get me books on the subject, and I ended up passionate about it anyway.

Trish said...

Wow, I've never known an English person who didn't read for fun (except for technical communications English people).

Love the picture!

I'm going to *finally* add you to my blogroll. I come by here all the time, so I don't know why I haven't yet. Hope you don't mind!