Thursday, August 09, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Multiples

Booking Through Thursday

Do you have multiple copies of any of your books?
If so, why? Absent-mindedness? You love them that much? First Editions for the shelf, but paperbacks to read?
If not, why not? Not enough space? Not enough money? Too sensible to do something so foolish?

I generally don't have multiple copies of books. I tend to wait patiently until the paperback version is released before buying a copy. The only exception is Tolkien. I have 4 copies of The Hobbit and 4 copies of The Lord of the Rings. I have a paperback edition of The Hobbit, an old hardback copy, one as part of a set and one hardback copy illustrated by the wonderful Alan Lee. It's pretty much the same with The Lord of the Rings. I have an all-in-one paperback, a set of three, an annotated paperback and a hardback illustrated edition again by Alan Lee.

The reason I have multiple copies is mostly as part of a collection. I love the hardbacks but would never take them around with me to read on the train etc. I don't want to damage them accidentally or lose them. The sets I have are all in black and look really good alongside The Hobbit and Tales from the Perilous Realm. Each edition is slightly different and I get something new from it.

What can I say, I love both sets of stories...

12 comments:

cj said...

I forgot all about LOTRs. I've got both hard and soft covers of the four books, for the same reason you do. I would never carry the beautiful hardcover editions I have around with me.

cjh

Alice Teh said...

That's an impressive collection you have there, Rhinoa. I might collect them in the future, but just not at the moment...

Happy BTT!

DesLily said...

Right now I have some duplicates.. but that's because I am replacing some old (turning brown) paperbacks with used hardbacks..once I replace the book or books.. I don't have the heart to toss out the old brown copies!! argh.....!!

Barbara H. said...

My answer was pretty similar to yours.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Nymeth said...

Oooh, Alan Lee illustrated LoTR! I want to get that edition one day.

Marianne Arkins said...

I can understand your obsession with LOTR! And, an illustrated copy... oh yeah.

Happy BTT!

Chris said...

I'm up to three copies of The Hobbit and I desperately want the Lee illustrated hardback...I'll have it soon enough ;)

I have several books that I have duplicate copies of. Some are signed, limited editions and others are one copy to read, one to display ;)

Cee Cee said...

Okay, that's a GREAT reason for having multiples.

Kristy said...

I think it's great that you collect Tolkein. I think different than having duplicate around of other books. Happy BTT!

Irishcoda said...

Totally agree about hardbacks! I don't like to take them out of the house not only because they're heavy but because I don't want them to get damaged!

Oooh and you are a cat lover too! :)

Melody said...

Yes, I can see that's a good reason for having duplicate copies! ;)

Although I'd love to buy a hardcover, I don't usually do it unless I really, really love that author's works.

Happy belated BTT! :P

Literary Feline said...

You do have a nice collection of books, Rhinoa! Unless I can get a really good deal on a hardback or the book is by a favorite author, I usually try and wait for the paperback editions. I'm not always very patient though. The book clubs like Zooba don't help either. At least their hardbacks are smaller than the store sold ones though so they aren't as bad to drag around everywhere.