Thursday, August 02, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Letters! We Get Letters….

Booking Through Thursday

Have you ever written an author a fan letter?
Did you get an answer?
Did it spark a conversation? A meeting?
(And, sure, I suppose that e-mails DO count . . . but I’d say no to something like a message board on which the author happens to participate.)

I haven't written a fan letter, but I have written two fan letters to two different authors. One was back when I was a teenager and starting out in paganism and I emailed Silver RavenWolf. We share the same birthday (although not the same year) and I had a question for her on something in her first book To Ride a Silver Broomstick. She emailed me back quite quickly with an answer and some nice comments. A lot of people think her work is rubbish and fluffy and look down on her, but I always tell them this story and expplain why I have respect for her (although now I don't particularly rate her books besides being a stepping stool in early days). She is very popular and I am sure she recieves many emails and letters so I was really pleased she took the time to reply to me. It didn't spark anything more, she is based in American and I am in the UK and was still in sixth form college at the time.

The other author I emailed was Brian Bates who wrote The Way of Wyrd and The Real Middle Earth about 3 years ago. He had taught at the university I went to (which I didn't find out until I left) and I really enjoyed The Way of Wyrd. He emailed me back a couple of days later and told me about some events and talks he was doing in London. He then randomly emailed me about a month ago with some more event details. I haven't been able to attend any of the events yet, but hope to meet him and hear him speak one day.

I have been tempted to write to or email Nick Hornby as I really enjoy his work, but I haven't yet. Not really sure what I would say to him to be honest. With the other two it was easy as I had questions about their writing, but with Nick I don't, I just love it!

9 comments:

Melody said...

Hi Rhinoa! I'm glad you did write to Silver RavenWolf. What other people think doesn't really matters anyway...and I always feel we should respect the authors no matter if we enjoy their works or not.

Happy BTT!

Julia said...

Rhinoa - I never heard of the two authors you spoken about. Maybe I should give them a try. And I agree with Melody, no matter what type of books authors write, that readers don't like...they should always respect the authors :)

Thanks for visiting my blog! Happy Booking Through Thursday!

Dance Chica said...

Heeyy!! I read To Ride a Silver Broomstick when I was a teen too!!! That's so awesome you emailed her and that she responded to you. People will always have different opinions about different people.

Marianne Arkins said...

How nice that Silver got back to you!

Happy BTT!

Alice Teh said...

Ahhh... it's so nice to hear authors writing back to their readers/fans. I have one of Nick Hornby's book in my TBR. I hope to start on it soon. Oh do write to him. Hehe!

Nymeth said...

How nice that they e-mailed you back. And you should e-mail Nick Hornby, even if just to show your appreciation for his work.

I've never written a letter or e-mail to an author, but once I sent Neil Gaiman a question about writing through his FAQ line, and he replied :D It meant the world to me.

Cee Cee said...

It's always nice when authors respond.

Literary Feline said...

One of my problems is that I can never think of questions to ask. Like you with Nick Hornby, I love the author's work, but often am not sure what to say beyond that.

soleil said...

silver ravenwolf was one of the first pagan authors i picked up in my early teens as well. next to scott cunningham. i don't really read her much anymore but i find her books a good resource.