Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Top 5 Authors and Stuff

I have been thinking lately who my top 5 favourite authors are of all time. I can think of 4 and then I get stuck. I don't want to just pick anyone, it needs to be someone special to fill that last spot. My list so far is:

1. Anne Rice - She is always the first author I think of when anyone asks who my favourite is. I love her writing style and I am planning on re-reading all of her books soon. I think my favourite is Memnock the Devil where Lestat goes to heaven and hell.

2. Anne Bishop - I have only read The Black Jewels Trilogy and Dreams Made Flesh so far and LOVED both of them, to the point where I got really sad when I reached the end. I have her other paperbacks and am trying to space them out so I don't run out of books to read by her.

3. JRR Tolkien - LOTR was one of my favourite books growing up and I really enjoyed The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales too. I recently read The Hobbit which I didn't really enjoy as a child, but loved it this time around. I am looking forward to reading The Histories and The Children of Hurin.

4. Nick Hornby - I read High Fidelity first which I love and then saw the film which is one of my favourites. It changes the book a fair bit, transposing it to America, but it still remains a really great adaptation and I adore John Cusak. I am trying to read The Polysyllabic Spree really slowly to savour it at the moment (I have it in the two seperate books), but the temptation to race through it is intense. I also just read he has a new book out called Slam (not out until October 2007 in Hardback in the UK and I always wait for the paperbacks bah). The blurb on amazon looks great, it says:

Whoever invented skateboarding is a genius. There's only one skater, and his name's Tony Hawk. It doesn't matter if you don't know who he is, just trust me. Not only is Hawk the world's best skater, he's also good to talk to. So I talk to Tony Hawk, and Tony Hawk talks back. Because just when it seemed like everything had come together for me, I had to go and screw it all up. It only took two seconds. But all of me knew. One risk. One mistake and my life would never be the same. Hawk had a few things to say. And a few things to show me. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to see your own future?

So who to pick for number 5... Possibly Margaret Atwood, Gregory Maguire, Roald Dahl, Brian Jacques, Charles de Lint, Lois Lowry, Juliet Marillier or Phillip Pullman. The problem with them all is I feel I haven't read enough of their work to justify giving them a coveted place on my top 5 authors list (apart from Brian Jacques).

So who would make your top 5 list?

10 comments:

Kailana said...

Did you know that there was a new book coming out in the Black Jewels trilogy in 2008?

Rhinoa said...

Thanks Kailana yes I did! I am very excited about it (Tangled Webs or something I think). I will hopefully read the whole series again next year or the year after.

Nymeth said...

What a great question. Your list got me thinking that I really miss Anne Rice. I got disappointed with her as the years passed, but I started reading her at 14, and basically I grew up with her books. I should re-read everything as well, there are books of hers I absolutely love.

As for my picks, like you, I get stuck after 4. Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Jeffrey Eugenides and Douglas Coupland I'm sure of, but number five could be Philip Pullman, Diana Wynne Jones, Ursula Le Guin, Truman Capote... I'm just not sure.

I really should read more Nick Hornby. I loved High Fidelity but never got around to reading anything else.

Chris said...

I'm a big Anne Rice fan as well. I live about 5 minutes away from her house and I've toured it a couple of times! It's the house that she based The Witching Hour on. I think I'm going to re-read The Witching Hour for Carl's RIP Challenge this year. I love reading that book here in New Orleans and driving past her house and staring at the porch. Unfortunately, she's moved out of that house now...but the house is still there for me to stare at :) and she still lives here in New Orleans. The last of her vampire books I read was Tale of The Body Thief...then I read Merrick which was sort of a cross over of the vampire and witch books. Loved that one. I'd like to reread everything of hers. I really enjoyed them.

As far as favorite authors...I can only go as high as 3...Orson Scott Card, Neil Gaiman, and JRR Tolkien...after that there are too many to seperate into favorites. Great post!

Stephanie said...

I love Anne Rice and Nick Hornby! If I had to go for my 3, I'd have to say Rice, Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, Neil Gaiman, and .....??? Maybe Jodi Picoult? There are just too many out there to break it down to only 5!!

(Thomas Hardy and Oscar Wilde are 2 of my other favorites)

soleil said...

i love anne rice too but i have lost track of her since the book about marius. i still need to read that. i also really enjoyed the crossover books with the mayfair witches.

as for top 5, that's a hard question!

definitely Alice Hoffman and Francesca Lia Block. and i have to say J.K. Rowling. i hope she continues writing past HP because she is brilliant.

and well, i'll have to think harder for the last two spots. . .

raidergirl3 said...

I feel so different from these other lists as my top five begins: LM Montgomery, Maeve Binchy, Stephen King, and then I get stuck.
Douglas Coupland could make it, but I've only begun reading some of his, Gaiman and Hornby are good, but again, I'm quite new to them. I'm off to think about this and maybe make my own list. Great idea.

Rhinoa said...

Nymeth - You really should read some more Hornby, especially if you liked High Fidelity. I fancy reading some more Ursula le Guin, I have only read the Earthsea Quartet so far.

Chris - I am so jealous that you got to go around her house! I would love to get over to New Orleans at some point as her books really bring the area to life.

Stephanie - Good choices, I like Thomas Hardy too and would like to read more of his work (only read Far From the Madding Crowd).

Soleil - I have a couple of Alice Hoffman books but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I am looking forward to them though.

Raidergirl - I am sure I have read a review of something by Maeve Binchy but I can't remember what... I read a few Stephen King books when I was a young teenager, but went off him later on. I do love Needful Things though.

Chris said...

Rhinoa, If you ever make it down here, I'd be more than happy to bring you on a "Witching Hour tour" :)

Clare said...

Great to see Anne Bishop on your list! And Anne Rice I still haven't gotten past book 2 of the vampire chronicles, I will one day!