Friday, July 13, 2007

Shrek the Third - Film


Rating : 2.5 out of 5

This third installment in the Shrek series follows on pretty much where Shrek 2 ends. Fiona's father, the King of Far Far Away is dying and Shrek is next in line to be the King. He doesn't feel suited to the job and instead departs on a quest to find the next in line, Arthur Pendragon. Meanwhile Fiona is pregnant and Shrek is none too pleased about being a father and Prince Charming is organising the villians for a hostile take over and their own version of their Happy Ending.

There weren't too many new characters on the good side, only Arthur Pendragon (Justin Timberlake) who was ok and the wonderful Merlin (voiced by Monty Pythons Eric Idle) who gets a few great lines. Some of the villians were fun, Captain Hook, enchanted evil trees, the wicked witch, one of the ugly stepsisters etc. I felt though that the humor wasn't anywhere near as good as the first film or even the second. There were a few good scenes, but not really enough to hold it together. I think my favourite was where the Gingerbread Man has his life flash before his eyes from birth in his fathers oven, to getting his legs pulled off in Shrek, to his legs being reattached and him jumping through fields to the theme from the Six Million Dollar Man!

The ogre babies were cute and Fiona's princess friends were quite fun when they got going a bit more towards the end (especially Snow White), but Donkey and Puss-In-Boots didn't really do too much. I think what sums it up for me was that my favourite part was hearing a beautiful Damien Rice song at a down point for Shrek... Sadly nothing really very new this time around. I wonder what the fourth installment will be like?


3 comments:

Nymeth said...

I see that my hesitation about seeing this movie made sense. The first was fun, and the idea was good, but now it sounds like they are exploring it beyond its limits. I didn't enjoy the second movie half as much as the first, and it sounds like this one might be even worse. There are only so many times that you can repeat the same joke until it ceases to be funny.

Stephanie said...

I didn't like the second movie at all. I actually thought this one was better than 2. But it is nowhere close to the first movie.

Still....my kids liked it!

Dewey said...

I had to skim because I haven't seen this yet!