Thursday, July 26, 2007

Rating : 4.5/5
Reason for Reading : TBR Challenge

The beautiful tale follows a little girl after making a wish that changes the rest of her life forever. She becomes icey cold as a result, like the little boy in the Snow Queen fairy tale, and forgets how to love and be loved. Growing up, she moves and one day she is struck by lightening whilst standing in her kitchen and again her life is changed. Instead of dying, she becomes even more icey and isolated.

A morbid fascination with death and dying since she was young, she looks for Lazarus Jones, a fellow lightening attack survivor. He was pronounced dead and taken to the morgue, but suddenly was revived and returns to life. She goes to him seeking the secret of death and instead finds the fire to her ice.

This was a beautiful, poignant, moving and terribly sad tale which I really loved. I would love to see a film adaptation done well of this novel. The supporting characters were interesting and flawed in their own unique way. Rennie is a fellow survivor whose hands are deformed and he has to wear gloves. He shows her his secret at night time when he takes off the gloves he always wears and she sees his hands glow gold. At the time of the strike he was wearing a watch and ring that have been imprinted into his wrists. The gold somehow merged with the fat in his hands and wrists causing the glow. Her brother Ned and his wife Nina are also interesting being very scientific and logical and it is only later in the book that you really get to know them.

There are lots of references to different fairy tales which I really enjoyed and it is very tempting to read The Brothers Grimm tales next. The main message I took away is that it is a persons percieved flaws that make them beautiful to others.

8 comments:

Kailana said...

I read this book a couple years ago, but reading your review makes me want to read it again because you saw things that I can't remember if I saw! It was before blogging days.

Literary Feline said...

I really need to read more Alice Hoffman. I've only read one book by her (The Probable Future), which I enjoyed immensely. I think I may have this one on my shelf. You've just given me an idea for my final selection for the 2nds challenge! It may not be this book, but it should be an Alice Hoffman book. Great review!

Dance Chica said...

This book sounds interesting! I've never read Alice Hoffman before, but I've heard of her, of course. I'm going to check this one out. Good review. :-)

Trish said...

Great review! The only book I've read by her is "Here on Earth" and since Wuthering Heights is my favorite classic, I wasn't too keen on her interpretation. This one sounds very interesting, though!

Clare said...

I'm wanting to read this again, I didn;t think much of it but, sometimes when I read things 2nd time I see things differently.

Rhinoa said...

Kailana - BB (before blogging), I like it.

Literary Feline - I will look out for that one, I have Practical Magic and Here on Earth to read at some stage.

Dance Chica - Yeah give her a go, she has a really great style of writing. It's like drinking in her words somehow.

Trish - I have Here on Earth to read and am looking forward to it. It's been a while since I read Wuthering Heights.

Clare - Yeah maybe, I do that sometimes too!

Nymeth said...

I love the sound of this one! Alice Hoffman is one of those readers I've been meaning to read.

soleil said...

i adore alice hoffman. i recently read and reviewed this book. i absolutely love her writing style.