Thursday, July 26, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Best moustache-twirling

Booking Through Thursday

Well, after last week’s record-breaking number of responses (92 last time I checked–an all-time BTT record), I was tempted to use this week’s question to ask what you all thought about Harry Potter 7–but since a decent proportion of you weren’t going to be reading it at all, that seemed unfair. So instead . . .
Who’s the worst fictional villain you can think of? As in, the one you hate the most, find the most evil, are happiest to see defeated? Not the cardboard, two-dimensional variety, but the most deliciously-written, most entertaining, best villain? Not necessarily the most “evil,” so much as the best-conceived on the part of the author…oh, you know what I mean!

I think the scariest character from a book I have read recently was Jack from Lord of the Flies. It's not so much that he is evil (he is only a young boy of around 12), it's more that he gives in to his savage nature first and leads the other boys in the story to murder and baseness. It's scary because he represents human desires that tempt us all, yet most of us don't give in. He is a warning for what we could become if we are not careful...

The other "evil" character I have read recently was Humbert Humbert from Lolita. He is a paedophile and does some very dispicable things with Lolita, yet he is somehow strangely likeable and his story pulls you in. He doesn't seem to see anything really wrong with his actions and thoughts, he just tells his story as he sees it, eloquently yet creepy. The author did a great job writing his character writing an unsettling yet brilliant novel.

13 comments:

Alice Teh said...

Now, I like the sound of the two books so I might just go get them very soon... Happy BTT!

Chris said...

I thought of Humbert Humbert too but went with someone else. great answer!

Debi said...

Hmmm...Jack, what an interesting, well-thought out choice.
(I'm embarrassed to say I've never read Lolita.)

Stephanie said...

I haven't read Lolita. I just can't bring myself to read it. Especially now that I have 2 daughters. But I'll give you this. He's definitely a villain!

Trish said...

Every time I think of Lord of the Flies I think about poor little Piggy (am I remembering the right book??). Great answer!

Irishcoda said...

Wow, I have to agree with you about Jack ... and he was just a little boy! I wonder what kind of an adult he would have turned into?

Rhinoa said...

Yes poor Piggy and I always wondered what a follow up would be like seeing how the boys turned out in later life. I wonder how much an experience like that would affect them.

Debi and Stephanie - Do try and read Lolita, if you can look past the premise it is superbly written.

Carrie K said...

Jack from Lord of the Flies was a great choice of villains! I would love a follow up on the boys when they were old men and how their lives turned out.

Barbara H. said...

It's been ages since I read Lord of the Flies, but I do remember the extremes of natural desire with no restraint. Have never read Lolita but Humbert does sound evil.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Nymeth said...

I really need to read those two books!

Julia said...

Goodness, Lord of the Flies was just one of the good book. I agree with you on the villian in this one

Happy Booking Through Thursday!

Literary Feline said...

I really like your response to this one, Rhinoa. I agree about Jack. I haven't thought of him in a long while. I have yet to read Lolita, but I can see why you would pick him based on your description. It's a book I want to read but haven't managed to get to yet.

Melody said...

Great list, Rhinoa. I haven't read them yet, but I will check them out.