Friday, July 06, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Great Novel

What with yesterday being the Fourth of July and all, I’m feeling a little patriotic, and so have a simple question:What, in your opinion, is the (mythical) Great American Novel? At least to date. A “classic,” or a current one–either would be fine. Mark Twain? J.D. Salinger? F. Scott Fitzgerald? Stephen King? Laura Ingalls Wilder? It doesn’t have to be your favorite book, mind you. “Citizen Kane” may be the “best” film, and I concede its merits, but it’s not my favorite. You don’t have to love something to know that it’s good.

Now, I know that not all of you are American–but you can play, too! What I want from you is to know what you consider to the best novel of YOUR country. It might be someone the rest of us haven’t heard of and, frankly, I think we’d all like to get some new authors to read.
In fact, while we’re at it–I’m curious about the geographical make-up of this meme. So, while you’re leaving your link to your post, tell us where in the world you are! (For the record, I’m in New Jersey, USA.)

I am in the UK and am based just outside London although I am from Liverpool.
This is a really difficult question. There are lots of books I love by English authors, but I am not sure they are the best of our country. I supposed my favourite English author would be Nick Hornby and my favourite of his books is High Fidelity (I love the American film adaptation too). Charles Dickens is an amazing British author and I loved Great Expectations. It is widely recognised as a classic, so perhaps that should be the best novel of my country and Nick Hornby my favourite. My favourite author from Liverpool would be Brian Jacques who wrote the Redwall series for children. I love the series and I was interviewed on television when I was younger for a programme called Book Worm that featured him as their author of the week. I have a couple of signed books from when he spoke at the school where my mum teaches English.

0 comments: